1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP Home Edition-network is giveing me fits

Discussion in 'Networking' started by xfile47, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

My network is set up with a crossover cable. The host is hooked to the internet throught the telephone and the client is hooked to the host with a crossover cable. I have ran the wizared on the host and then on the client for home network the way it is suppose to be but if I have any firewall running on the host side the client computer won't get to the internet, If I turn off all firewalls the client will get the internet but not all the time, It seems some web sites it can and some it can't. I cannot get on the windows update web page at all on the client to update and I no there are some there to update, also on the sp2 the firewall I read is suppose to pop up a security box if something tries to get though and then you can say to block it or not block it, I have had sp2 on the host computer for about 2 or 3 weeks and have never seen the security box they are talking about. I am just now putting sp2 on the client computer as I type this thinking maybe that will help. There is a brand new cross over cable on it, also when you click network places>properties and then see the box with Internet protocol, QOS packet schedule, file and printer sharing for micosoft networks, and client microsoft networks, are they all suppose to be checked on both computers? or just some on the host and some on the client, I have been thinking that might be some problem, anyway I don't want to run without a firewall so can anyone tell me what to do??

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274422

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice