1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: windows XP home shutdown no go?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nige_juan1971, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nige_juan1971

nige_juan1971 Thread Starter

Hi there I'm working with a HP pavillion 534a. It is running windows Xp home, it has a 40Gb HDD, 2.0Ghz intel pentium CPU, 256Mb DDR SD RAM.
    my problem started when the PC had a virus on it which would allow me to boot up, login and even get to the point where I could see the desktop. 30 seconds later it would reboot! having installed Avast anti virus and finding nothing wrong and even trying repair tricks like restore points, last known config, anti-spyware, I decided to use the restore partition on my D:drive. Well that stopped the reboot problem but now it takes forever to get from the start=turn off=shutdown/power off. The first two parts of this process are fine, it's when I click on the turn off button that it takes 2-2 1/2 minutes to bring up the shutdown option. It then takes a further 2 1/2 minutes to finally power off. I've used programs like magic utilities, magic tweak, I took out the RAM and cleaned the slot with compressed air thinking that the slot or contacts might have been dirty but now I'm running out of options..please help me, and thank you for your help in advance.:)

2. rka0

rka0 Banned

3. nige_juan1971

Hi there rka01, well it turns out that just by running the recovery console (by pushing the F10 button before the Windows logo comes on) on my HP pavillion again for the second time has sorted my issue with the shutdown procedure out:) . However the problem you are having maybe sorted out by trying one of the following techniques sourced by the same site you went to. Here is a copy of what they had to say..so good luck with the following..
    Shutdown problems in Windows XP are most commonly caused by what is know
    in computer circles as legacy hardware - old technology components and
    peripherals that are not Plug and Play (PnP) devices - and software-
    compatibility issues.
    "If your computer was shutting down, but all of a sudden it won't
    shut down properly, or it restarts during the shutdown, if you
    installed any new software or drivers, remove the software via
    Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, or use the Roll Back
    Driver feature in the Device Manager (right-click My Computer,
    click Properties, click the Hardware tab, and find the device,
    double-click on its entry and open its Driver tab) to restore the
    old driver. If you discover that a driver is the cause of the problem,
    try downloading and installing the latest driver for the device from
    its manufacturer's site. If you installed any new hardware immediately
    before the problem occurred, obtain the latest driver file available
    for it in the same way. If the device still causes the problem with the
    latest driver installed, try a different make and model"
    Also here is the address to where you can find other possible links .
    http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Windows_XP_Shutdown_Restart_Reboot_Startup_Problems.htm#shutdown(y)

4. nige_juan1971

hi rka01 and thanks for the link. It turned out to be really helpful. if you try the microsoft knowledge base from www.microsoft.com you'll find some really good and helpful tools related to your problem but they're too many to list. So try that out and good luck with your problem.

5. rka0

rka0 Banned

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643612

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice