1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP Home SP2-error message won't let me open any programs at all-PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by xfile47, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Windows XP Home SP2

I am trying to help a lady with her computer. She called and said she could not connect to the internet. She was getting the error—cannot verify username or password. I went through and re put in her username and password, called the ISP made sure it was right. Tried the dial up and it would connect to the internet but could not go to any web pages.

I deleted Temp Internet files, cookies and history. I then thought I would run spybot although I could not get on the internet to update it at least I would see what I could catch with that and adware and spyblaster etc. I downloaded spybot from a disk I have and ran it and it caught 4 items. I am sorry I did not write them down but I no one was DSO Exploits and one was shop at home don’t remember the other 2. anyway, I fixed them all and it came back and said there was one (the shop at home) it could not fix but maybe could when I restarted the computer again so I checked yes. I closed out the spybot and thought I would look in add/remove programs for the shop at home cause I have found it there before. Well now I cannot get anywhere on the computer, any program I try to open says

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel.

I have no idea what to do. I tried to go to start>run> and type msconfig so I could do a system restore but it won’t let me in there either says it needs to no where to get the information to open the program.

So I cannot open any programs at all nothing, I can type in the start>run but won’t take me anywhere. If I get out of the owners and go into another account that is on the desktop I can get the control panel up so I can see it but says the same thing when you try to open a program.
    Please help, I have no idea what to do to get it back to at least where it was before I ran spybot, spybot has never did anything like this to me before and I have ran it on a lot of computers. Please help

2. The_Egg

The_Egg

It sounds like the file association for .EXE has been removed...

Save the attached file to the desktop
    Right click it and select "rename"
    Rename it to: exefile.reg (instead of: exefile.reg.txt)
    Then double click it to merge with the registry.

A reboot might be required for changes to take effect.

Hopefully, file extensions aren't hidden, and if they are, you can get into Folder Options > View tab to uncheck "hide extensions for known file types". I'm also hoping that .reg file association isn't also messed up, and that the default action is still "merge".

If you can now open EXE files, please post a HijackThis log.

EDIT: Hmm, it also sounds like .cpl (control panel extension) association is messed up as well.

Attached Files:

3. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Sorry I did not get back to you right away. While I was waiting I was searching Google and found Dougs site and it had the same exe file you said to do so I downloaded to a floppy and then put it on the computer I was having problems with a everything started working right away. Thank you very much for answering my thread. I really do appreciate it. I will mark this solved cause I already got the other computer all done. Thanks again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325432

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice