1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP Home & Vista--Networking with Linksys Router--Have some questions

Discussion in 'Networking' started by xfile47, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Which one would you start out with to make it the easiest? Would you use the linksys router setup disk on the XP computer or the Vista computer.? I have Used a linksys router before and setup XP TO xp on a router but not Vista.
    Could someone describe for me step by step what is the easist way to set up the Linksys router on an XP to Vista or Vista to Xp computer to network them. I have not done to muich on a Vista computer but know my way around pretty good on XP I would appreciate someones help in how to do it and which one to start with the xp or the vista computer. Thanks

2. thehorace

thehorace

The xp is alot easier, and vista would be easier at picking up and connecting to the network. But JohnWill knows all this sort of stuff ;)

3. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Thats what I was wondering, If I start the network useing the linksys router disk on the XP computer (which I have done before) was wondering then if you plug the Vista computer into the router would it pretty much just pick up the network or what??

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I like the idea of connection the XP system first and getting it running. Then connect the Vista system and see if that has any issues. If you experiencing issues connecting the Vista computer, here are few tips to improve compatibility with older networking equipment.

Changes that may help to increase the compatibility of Vista with older networking devices:

Disable the IP Helper service:

1. Go to Start and type in "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    2. Scroll down to the IP Helper service, right click on it and select Properties
    3. In the dropdown box that says "Automatic" or "Manual", set it to Disabled and then click on "Apply"
    4. Then click on "Stop" to stop the service from running in the current session
    5. Click OK to exit the dialog

Disable IPv6:

1. Go to Start and type in "ncpa.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    2. Right click on each network connection and select "Properties"
    3. Remove the checkmark from the box next to "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
    4. Click OK to exit the dialog

NOTE: You should do this for each network connection.

Disable the DHCP Broadcast Flag:

Link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/928233
    1. Go to Start and type in regedit and press Enter.
    2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}
    4. In this registry path, click the (GUID) subkey to be updated.
    5. If the key DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag does not exist, use the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value. In the New Value #1 box, type DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag, and then press ENTER. If the key exists, skip this step.
    6. Right-click DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag, and then click Modify.
    7. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
    8. Close Registry Editor.
    NOTE: You should do this for each and every GUID subkey.

The only program I'm aware of that currently relies on IPv6 is the new Windows Meeting Space. The first 2 changes will cause that program not to work - but will leave all of your normal (IPv4) connections unaffected. If it causes problems that you can't overcome, simply revert back to the original settings.

5. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

so when you say Disable IPv6 for each network connection. you mean to do it for the XP and the Vista? I thank you very much for the infomation. I will keep this open till I get it done so if something doesn't go right and can refer back here to ask a question. Thanks

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    He was talking about the Vista. On the XP you can just:

Start - Run - ipv6 uninstall - OK

7. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

gotcha

8. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

what about that Link Layer Topology Responder from microsoft. do I have to use that on the xp computer so vista will see it for file sharing etc

9. jmwills

jmwills

No, it helps Vista see the XP machine.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The only thing that the LLTR does is improve the Vista network map graphic. It does nothing for real network functionality.

11. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Everything went great, thankyou all for the help it is up and running just fine. I will close this thread and thanks again

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647782

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice