Solved: Windows XP (home) won't upgrade:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

referee07

I have Windows XP installed on my desktop computer. Every once in awhile, the yellow "shield" appears in the task-bar telling me that the update has been 7% or 11% downloaded but then the shield disappears. (Or is hidden on the task bar.) When I go to the Windows download site, I find that I have five (5) priority, security updates available but when I click on "update" the downloads of the five (5) updates show as "failed." I need to download and install these priority updates but up to this point, I haven't be able to. Does anyone have any idea as to what is going on? Thanks in advance.

try this Click Start > Run > Type the following commands in the Open box (one at a time, in sequence):

REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuapi.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\atl.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups.dll

After re-registering the files, try the Windows Update site again.

One final thing I could suggest is to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder (found in your windows folder) to SoftwareDistribution.old

referee07

Natcom, thanks for the advise. However, I completed typing the above commands but I wasn't able to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to "old." I tried twice and got a box stating something like, "Unable to complete. Disk is full....." I am concerned because the five (5) updates that I can't download are security (the first one is High Security) and I think my computer is at risk. Why couldn't I rename the folder? Could it be a virus? Thanks again.

referee07

Natcom, also, the yellow "shield" appears in my task bar and now it is up to 34% of updates downloaded but then it disappears!?! Do you know what is going on? Thanks again.

referee07 said:
Natcom, thanks for the advise. However, I completed typing the above commands but I wasn't able to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to "old." I tried twice and got a box stating something like, "Unable to complete. Disk is full....." I am concerned because the five (5) updates that I can't download are security (the first one is High Security) and I think my computer is at risk. Why couldn't I rename the folder? Could it be a virus? Thanks again.
I'm sorry for not getting back to you soon try renaming SoftwareDistribution folder from safe mode
also for testing purposes try does security update login as administrator

referee07

Natcom, thanks for the info. I did what you suggested, i.e., went into Safe Mode and renamed the file. Then in Regular Mode (?), I tried going to Windows Update. While I was doing that, the yellos "Shield" came into the tray and when I placed the cursor over it it showed 7%. The shield stayed there for several seconds and then disappeared. A few seconds it came back and showed 16% and then left for good this time. Also, when I tried to manually download/install the updates, I got the #@&%# "failed" after each attempt. Any other ideas, and thanks for all of your help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online