1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP insists on ignoring my Dual-Core Processor

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jameshoward, Oct 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jameshoward

jameshoward Thread Starter

Hello,

short explanation for those who don't have the time to read it all:

My Windows XP Home SP2 refuses to recognize Pentium D Dual-Core 2 x 3,4 Ghz processor, even though hotfix KB896256 has been installed properly. Device manager shows two processors but task manager only shows workload for one core. Cubase SX (sequencer software i use) does not allow me the use of 2 cores, so i assume it can not properly recognize them through the operating system.

Any help would be appreciated!

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Detailed problem description
    -----------------------------------------------------------

i am expiriencing an issue with Windows XP SP2. When i initially installed Windows XP a year ago, everything worked fine. After installing Windows Update KB896256 my Dual-Core processor was being recognized and used. In the task manager i was able to see the workload of both processor cores seperately.

A few months ago i had a problem with the system and had to repair the Windows XP installation. I could have reinstalled it, but i am using the machine for music production and it literally takes half a day to install all the software again.

The repair went fine and Windows XP loaded perfectly upon the first startup. However, i soon noticed that the machine was having much less processing power than before. Finally i realized that it was not recognizing my Dual-Core Processor anymore. I then re-installed KB896256 but it did not help. I checked the BIOS settings but everything was fine (i never changed them in between anyway).

In fact the Windows device manager now shows two processors but the task manager shows only one core. And Cubase SX - the music sequencer software i am using - declines to offer me the usage of multiple cores - mainly, i assume, because it does not recognize that i have a Dual-Core system.

This has become pretty disturbing and is keeping me from doing my work! I therefore would need your advice. Anything helpful would be appreciated!
    Thank you very much!

- James Howard

Ps.: My machine specs: Windows XP Home SP2 Build 2600 on Pentium D Dual-Core 2 x 3,4 Ghz, ASUS board, 2 GB RAM
    Other installed Hotfixes: KB885222 and KB904412 ensuring proper usage of FireWire devices.

2. peacox

peacox

Have you checked Task Manager/view/CPU History/One Graph per CPU ?

3. jameshoward

jameshoward Thread Starter

Yes, i have tried that.

Thank you. I have finally found the solution to the problem - and the actual cause.

The system was running on a Uniprocessor ACPI - which was caused by not choosing the correct HAL-driver during repair/install.

This can be fixed in two ways: reinstall / repair with correct driver or trick the system, by replacing the three kernel-crucial files in the windows\system32 folder with the correct ones for ACPI-Multiprocessor-PC.

There are three files involved in this in your windows/system32 directory:

HAL.DLL
    ntoskrnl.exe
    ntkrnlpa.exe

The versions you need may be found in windows/servicepackfiles/i386, in the KB896256 hotfix package or on the Windows XP SP2 CD:

halmacpi.dll
    ntkrnlmp.exe
    ntkrpamp.exe

Replacement can only be done in SAFE MODE. One must delete (or rename) hal.dll, ntoskrnl.exe and ntkrnlpa.exe, then place the new three files in windows\system32 and give them the names of the originals.

Upon the next reboot Windows XP will use those new files instead of the old ones and therefore consider the system to be a ACPI-Multiprocessor-PC.

One can check the results in the device manager, under "Computer" it should say "ACPI-Multiprocessor-PC".

Also, the task manager will, if configured accordingly, show both processor core's workload seperately.

Good luck!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/760350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice