1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WIndows XP install stuck in a loop - help please

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Soxer123, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Soxer123

Soxer123 Thread Starter

Hi, I'm a reasonably experience user but this one has me stumped.

I was doing a reinstall of XP this afternoon, all seemed fine but after about 40 minutes and about 11 minutes to go to complete, the machine rebooted (which I thought was part of the process) and when I looked at the screen again, the installation was back at 37 minutes. It then goes through the same routine to the approx same point and then restarts and does the same all over again.

I can't boot the PC with the disk removed from the machine, F8 has no effect on boot up, it will boot part way then the screen says restarting setup.

DOn't quite know what to do now. Any help on this appreciated. Reasonable speck PC about 14 months old dual core, 3 gig RAM etc.

Thanks in anticipation Keith

2. I_T_Doctor

I_T_Doctor

Hello Soxer123;

This may sound a little crazy....but if you are using a disk to install XP, try cleaning it thoughly before starting the next install, it happened to me once, cleaned the disk and it worked fine.

Hope this helps!

Dave

3. Soxer123

Soxer123 Thread Starter

I have done this and the routine is the same over and over. What annoys me is there semms no way to cancel the install and roll back. Microsoft triumphs again. I'm really getty twitchy over this so any pointers greatly appreciated. I will clean the disk again and pick up again tomorrow, had enough for one day. KP

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

To eliminate that this is a HD problem, tell the installer to do a full disk format, instead of quick format.

To eliminate the possiblity of ram problems, use memtest to run a test overnight.

5. I_T_Doctor

I_T_Doctor

Hello Soxer123;
    LunarLander's idea is good! If you still have issues you may want to try a different WinXP installation disk to ensure it is not the disk that is corrupted.

Cheers

Dave

6. Soxer123

Soxer123 Thread Starter

The only other windows disk I have is a Gateway laptop recovery disk with XP. Also, I have in transit WIn 7 upgrade disk. Seeing how that is a different disk and is bootable, I wonder if that might do the trick when it arrives. Somehow I think the gateway one won't

Thank you for all the input. Having read up on this, it appears to be a common problem. Doesn't help me with a disabled PC though...

7. I_T_Doctor

I_T_Doctor

Did you try the full format option?

Dave

8. Soxer123

Soxer123 Thread Starter

Hi Dave,

If I could get to being given an option, I would not cry over having to format the PC. Unfortunately, everytime I boot, I get the blue "setup is restarting" screen and have no options open to me. Keith

9. Soxer123

Soxer123 Thread Starter

Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know that thanks to bloody mindedness, caffeine and some of the suggestions here, I solved my problem. It took several attempts, but I did one time get to boot from the CD and then take control of the machine and do a destructive install. I'd got copies of most of my important files so it is not the end of the world. I would like to thank you for your input and hope I can talk to you all the next time Windows decides it is in charge.

Keith

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975240

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice