1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP Installer - ruined registry

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tksbussong, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tksbussong

tksbussong Thread Starter

Hi everyone!!

Recently, I tried reinstalling the Windows Installer. Not sure why, but I believe that my system requested that it be done.

In any case, I was on Microsoft's website and I followed the step by step procedure on how to do this. This is the link that I followed:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346

Now, I can't access ANYTHING Microsoft related. Word, Excel, Publisher, Internet Explorer....nothing. When I try clicking on it, it says "The specified module could not be found."

Yadda yadda ...fast forward after trying System Restore (freezes at last screen), reinstalling the XP disc, crying....

I can only access the Internet through Firefox and I still am unable to open anything else.

At one point it also said something about "amydy8uu.sys unavailable" or something...I've tried googling that and I have no idea what it is.

Computers are the devil and this is my Hell.

Please help.

2. mothergoose729

mothergoose729

Ugh... registry problems. You can try downloading a registry cleaner and pray to god is works for you. I personally hate registry cleaners, as regcure killed my windows xp, but that is really all you can do. Regmachanic works pretty well... What you will probably have to do is reinstall windows. Put in your windows cd, run the set up, and install windows xp on the same drive partition. All you files will transfer over to an "old windows" folder (you will have to reinstall it but the data will be there). Good luck.

3. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Please do NOT run a Registry "cleaner." Wait for someone knowledgeable to come along with sound advice.

{redoak}

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Can you explain exactly what you did? The reference you gave was for repairing the Windows Installer and not for updating/upgrading/reinstalling it. Why did you feel the need to repair it?

Try installing Windows Installer 4.5, but it may be necessary to reinstall the programs that used the installer.

5. tksbussong

tksbussong Thread Starter

Elvandil!!!!!! YOU FIXED IT!!

I've been dealing with this for over a week!! OMG!! THANK YOU!!

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's good news. It sounds like today would be a good day for you to get a lottery ticket considering your amazing luck.

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the button above.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757716

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice