1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP (KB896688) Update keeps failing to install?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Space Cowboy, Oct 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy Thread Starter

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP (KB896688)
    Date last published: 10/13/2005
    Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a computer running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
    System Requirements
    Recommended CPU: Not specified.
    Recommended memory: Not specified.
    Recommended hard disk space: Not specified.
    How to Uninstall
    This software update can be removed via Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
    Get help and support
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50690
    More information

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/KB896688

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Sometimes, simply uninstalling the specific update from Add/remove programs, then re-installing same works.

I use Belarc Advisor, free utility, that shows you much about your computer, including what Updates are installed correctly and ones you need to redo.

www.belarc.com

Use the free download link there. Download to the desktop> run the file, it opens an IE page which will automatically update each time you start Belarc Advisor. Everyone should keep this profile of their machine handy for use during a reinstall!

3. Schuette

Schuette

I'm having the same problem as this but with Windows Installer - it just will *not* install. I've had a look at Microsoft's oh-so-helpful website and it said about resetting the COM permissions in regedit - done that and it made no difference - can anyone help?

4. Schuette

Schuette

Can no-one help? This is driving me nuts.

5. Space Cowboy

Which kb # update is it?

6. Schuette

Schuette

7. Space Cowboy

8. Schuette

Schuette

No, no difference - just comes up saying access is denied - and then restarts my computer for me. Doesn't even ask, ungrateful whatsit.

See, I'm now driven to talking to it. =S

9. Space Cowboy

Sometimes you can move the file to a empty directory and extract all the files in the package and get it to install that way or manually do something to get it to work. Can be tricky.

10. Schuette

Schuette

It's ok - it somehow installed as I shut down rather than when I restarted. Weird thing - a month I've been trying and all of a sudden it does it.

11. Space Cowboy

Had some free time and rebuilt the system again. Made a backup before tweakin anything but this update now installed. I'm thinking because I had removed Internet Explorer is why it kept failing. I sure wish they would make that thing a option. I'd prefer not to have it using up any hard drive space on my computer.

Anyway's Thanks
    Solved

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/412589

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice