1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP laptop touchpad tap not wanted.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by goedel, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

Could someone let me know how to eliminate the "tap" feature on my laptop's (Dell Inspiron 1150) touchpad? I was once able to remove it, but I reinstalled XP and drivers. Now, I can't find in Control Panel's "mouse" or in Device Manager or elsewhere the controlling features that allowed me before to remove the "tap", which I find too sensitive.

There must be a driver for it that I need to download in order to control the touchpad features.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    try in
    start>
    run>
    type
    main.cpl
    does that open the mouse properties

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Go back to Dells website and downlod the Synaptics touchpad driver.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  5. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

@flavallee No offense intended, though I sense that I may have. I simply thought the present subject was unrelated to the XP re-install subject. I greatly appreciated your help there, and I just donated $25. to TSG because I valued your help so much.

You did suggest the Control Panel mouse setup, but that does not seem to me related to Dell's Synaptics touchpad. I had forgotten the name "Synaptics" or I should have mentioned it to you.

I think I need to get the driver from Dell as another adviser recommended. Thanks again!

6. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

@Squashman Yes, I'll give that a go. If I succeed, I'll mark this "solved".

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    No offense taken.

I obtained the Synaptics touchpad driver from the Dell support site for YOUR Dell Inspiron 1150, so I assumed it was the driver you needed.

A much newer version (15.2.20) is available here.

---------------------------------------------------------

8. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

Thanks, all, especially Squashman and flavallee! I have stabilized my touch pad, successfully.

I still haven't found a decoder for my DVD player that works with WMP or with another player.

1. Does anyone know if the free version of Real Player has the decoder for DVD discs?

9. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

OK, I have found a media player that comes with the decoder necessary for DVDs, VLC. It's a nice player, as good for me as WMP or Real Player and much less advertising and distraction.

Thanks to TSG, all is well. Problem solved.

10. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028506

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice