1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP looping on Startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gmyt, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gmyt

gmyt Thread Starter

I purchased a new computer without n operating system. I transfered the hard drive from my old computer to the new one. It is a SATA drive. The computer keeps looping on start up. I loops on Windows Start, Safe Mode and every other mode that I try. It won't let me revert to last bood boot.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You cannot transfer a hard drive containing Windows XP from an old computer to a new computer and then expect the new computer to work.

You need to install Windows XP in the new computer.

----------------------------------------------------------

Is the hard drive you transferred from the old computer to the new computer an EIDE or SATA hard drive?

Does the new computer have an EIDE or SATA hard drive?

Can you provide the hardware specs of the new computer?

3. gmyt

gmyt Thread Starter

I have successfully cloned XP drives on to new drives, put them in the new computer and then updated the IO functions and drivers. I have done this at least 10 times with out a problem. When you boot the computer with the new cloned drive it comes up with a series of messages as it discovers different components and you simply change the drivers for them. This one seems to have corrupted the MBR (Master Boot Record) and I want to find a way of restoring it.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You've done something that I've never done, so someone else is going to need to assist you. Good luck. (y)

---------------------------------------------------------

5. icue

icue

You cant just move OS's to a new PC
    The registry on the HDD cannot find the old hardware drivers
    Also, Microsoft doesn't want it's OS's to be cloned and given away for free or profit

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice