1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP Monitor Black

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by missy1958, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. missy1958

missy1958 Thread Starter

This is the first time I have posted on this site.

I can't give all the specs, because the monitor is black and I can't get into my PC.

I havea Gateway PC with Windows XP and have a new AT&T modem that is DSL/wireless. I also have a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse.

I have had the modem for a month and just hooked up a laptop to the wireless. At the same time my son was using the wireless to update his playstation 3.

Both did fine.... the playstation updated and I was able to use the laptop.

My PC was on the whole time. Later I noticed my PC screeen was black (it looked asleep) moved the mouse around and it wont wake up. I also noticed that the normal green lights to show the wireless connection were not lit up. I also shut down the laptop thinking it had something to do with it.

Control+alt+delete wont even bring the monitor up, so I held the power button in to shut the PC down.

Left PC off all night, pushed the on button this morning and still no monitor the power button stays amber, the wireless keyboard and mouse lights are off and the tower lights come on for a bit then they go off too. I can hear the fan running in the tower, but it dosent sound like it did before.

Is the wireless part of the modem preventing my PC from starting up or just a freak thing and the PC was on the way out and I need a new PC, did I blow a capacitor???? Did the power cord go bad???

If I take my PC in to the doctor..can I still use the laptop while PC is getting fixed? Not sure what to do now. thank You in advance for all your suggestions...

2. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

Your laptop should be fine....
    Your PC on the other hand is a completely different story...

Many things can cause what's happened to your PC, Some worth trying to fix and other's not (if your wanting to get a new PC anyway)
    Power cable is a possibility

Does your machine stay on, or does it completely power down again after switching it on? ie... can you still hear all the fans etc for quite a time after switching machine on, or does it all shut itself off again?

Depending on your answer to above question,
    could be graphics card, could be memory, could be CPU, could be PSU and last but not least could be a fried motherboard.

Hence the reason i say might not be worth fixing.... If your looking at getting a new pc anyway, would not really be worth replacing motherboard, CPU(fan and heatsinc)
    Unless you really wanted to, or got compatible parts cheaply like from ebay etc.

3. missy1958

missy1958 Thread Starter

Thank You for your prompt response...

I'm pretty sure the PC stays on, you can see the light shinning out of the back, you can hear the fan running too. The Monitor stays black and the on button amber. The connector for the wireless keyboard and mouse do not light up now, they would come on the second you powered up the PC. The lights on the tower come on but pretty sure the end up going out, like its asleep or hybernating.

Its funny that the wireless lights wont light up either, its like that connection has no power. The logitech wireless keyboard and mouse were installed aboput a month before this all happened. When I got the mouse/keyboard (used)..all I did was plug the stuff in and it worked didn't have to install anything.

The last few years I have installed more memory, installed a DVD Drive ( it only had a CD Rom) replaced the mother board...I had something happen to it (maybe a virus) and I had to have windows reinstalled and with that I lost all my pictures and purchased music. They able to get the music back ...kinda, but not the pictures.

I think the place I took it to be fixed last time had to installed the new windows on a ...can't think of what they said..fake hard drive...thats not the word but something like that. He put the program on a different drive and made it think it was the C?

Maybe its just time for a new PC... ?? I have put a lot of time and money into this one.

You said I will still be able to use that laptop even with the PC not hooked up right?

4. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

Your laptop should be fine to use without your PC being there at all.
    This problem is directly affecting your PC, and is completely seperate from your laptop.

If your Keyboard and Mouse are not getting anything from the machine even though it sounds and looks like its running, it definately sounds like graphics card is not to blame in the slightest. I would rule out Power supply too since it seems to be getting power fine. Also very doubtful its the memory. However worth taking out and reseating your memory and trying to boot machine.

Doubtful this will change anything but not the first time it has been the cause of similiar problems.

Should this do nothing, Cause will either be Motherboard or CPU, and since you have already changed your motherboard, I would suggest trying a new CPU, heastsinc and fan.
    However if you can manage to get hold of a working CPU thats compatible with your motherboard just to test it, that would be handy before going out and buying up the new bits.

What type and speed etc is the current processor in the machine?

5. missy1958

missy1958 Thread Starter

I have posted my new problem in the virus threads....

Thank you for your quick response again. After checking all my connections, up plugging and re plugging everything in, nothing worked. So what I did was simply turn off the surge protector and turned it back on and and everything came back on. I don't understand how the surge protector works, but it fixed the problem.
    Now that its fixed..I have another problem.

My 5 year old grandson was playing web games and clicked on something that gave me a virus. I am on a borrowed lap top right now because my WHOLE SYSTEM is shut down. I got the dredded blue screen.. Nothing will work, it says the virus is in my anti virus and to start it up but it wont start. I can get into the control panel, but no other programs will open up. I have Free AVAST for virus protect. I tried to re start in safe mode but it wont work either. Now there is a message displayed across my whole screen that says WARNING YOU ARE NOT PROTECTED YOUR HARD DRiVE KEEPs INFORMATION THAT CAN RUIN YOUR LIFE...IT GOES ON AND ON...YOUR BOSS, WIFE, KIDS CAN SEE........ETC...
    So I have un hooked the tower for right now. Is there something I can do myself, not sure what steps to take....

Hope you can help me again.......

6. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

nice that you got it fixed, surge protector would have not been on the top ten guesses to the problem to be honest.
    Maybe worth getting a new one of them just to make sure this issue does not occur twice.

Will look, and make any suggestions on your new thread for the new problem.
    cheers,

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975221

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice