1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows xp, MS Office 2003, Excel. Using text to describe contents of worksh

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by mathcheck, Apr 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mathcheck

mathcheck Thread Starter

Under the title of the portion of the worksheet that I am working with, I want to use text to describe the worksheet that is to follow. I don't want a box that refers to one cell. I want to write continuously, the whole width between the margins of the page, on multiple lines if necessary, just like I was in a text document. I have tried every way I can think of, but can't get it to do what I want - something like how a title works, but without the centering. I want this space to be independent of the rows and columns that are set up in the worksheet. I know there is alt-enter, and I've tried wrap-around. I am hoping that this can be accomplished without importing to or from Word.

2. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    Hi there,

have you considered a textbox?

3. mathcheck

mathcheck Thread Starter

Yes, but I can't make it work.

4. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    Could you attach an Excel file showing what you would like to achieve?

5. mathcheck

mathcheck Thread Starter

Ok, This is the first time I have tried attaching a file so I hope it works. Also, I am almost brand new to this site, and not an expert at Excel. In the file I attached you will see where I have written text which is all on one line. To give you a better idea of what I am trying to do I'll explain. I want to put together a worksheet consisting of multiple sub-worksheets all with the same format, but all unique. I want to be able to describe each sub-worksheet separately after its title and before the actual contents. I hope this description is clear enough. The example is not related in any way.

Attached Files:

6. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    Take a look at you file I just inserted a textbox and put your text with some more in it.

Of course, you could also merge cells and wrap text but that's a little more complicated when you're typing and need carraige returns.

Attached Files:

7. mathcheck

mathcheck Thread Starter

Ok, good. Using the text-box method, is there a way to remove the box borders?

8. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    You shold try the right mouse button and look at thesettings.
    About size and so, it's a question of doing.
    I suggest the help function in Excel about textboxes.
    I just showed a possible option.

Like I mentioned merging and wrapping text in cells is another option which may possibly be easier for you, only carraiage returns when typing are a little more difficult

See attached file

Attached Files:

9. mathcheck

mathcheck Thread Starter

I think your text box method is the way to go. I'm going to work on it now. Thanks for the help.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1095313

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice