Solved: Windows xp not recognizing added memory

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rameam

Presario V3000z notebook
Winxp
Came with 256mb ram, added 1g.

It has always shown 192mb ram instead of 256, but hp says that's normal. :confused: ? After I added the 1g and booted up it still shows 192. :eek: Below that it says 'Physical address extension'. Maybe this notebook won't handle that much ram? I Googled but didn't find any answers.

Thanks ahead for anyone who can help with this. (y)

rameam

Nerd Alert!

I rechecked the module after posting and noticed that it was not seated properly (I'm 62 and sight is not as good as it used to be). When I tried to seat it properly I noticed that the slot in the module was slightly off from the key in the memory slot. Guess this module wasn't made for this notebook. Ordered it online (Kensington from Office Depot - heck uva deal). Nothing was said there or my user's manual.

Can someone comment on this? Am I correct in what I'm assuming?

Will it fit if you flip it over? Compare the number of pins to the number of pins in the existing RAM. See if they match. Hold them next to each other and see if they all line up the same.

rameam

The slots are slightly off. I'm wondering if it's a manufacturer error. It's only off maybe 1/32 of an inch, just enought to keep it from plugging in.

rameam: It sounds like you're trying to put DDR2 ram in a DDR slot 0r vice-versa. It won't go, and if you try to force it you're going to break something.
Look at the box the ram came in or on your invoice to check this out.
Now, about showing 192 MB ram for a 256 stick, you have onboard video that is taking 64 MB of your ram to run. 192 + 64=256.

rameam

Thanks for the replies. It says DDR on the package. I must then need DDR2.

I'll see if I can exchange it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online