Solved: Windows XP problem (dont know what to call it)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Shortys748

ok this just recently started happening, when i start Windows instead of giogn straight to windows i get a message saying "Pick Os to run" giving me the choices of "Windows XP pro) or Windows XP backup this never came up before anyone know how to make it boot straight to windows without getting this problem?

awalker0878

Removed by request
start/run/notepad "C:\boot.ini"

copy & paste the contents of the file into this forum

Shortys748

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /TUTag=RD3OPK /Kernel=TUKernel.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (TuneUp Backup)" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /TUTag=RD3OPK-BAK

Is that what you mean?

awalker0878

Removed by request
yes it looks like you are using tune up! and has modified your boot.ini to include a backup of the kernal it has created I guess to bootup faster.

you could do this:

start/run/cmd
attrib -S -H -R C:\boot.ini
exit

start/run/notepad "C:\boot.ini"
copy over text with this(wipe out what is in it already) becauful of extra spaces!:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

awalker0878

Removed by request
Afterward reset atributes back
start/run/cmd
attrib +S +H +R C:\boot.ini
exit

telecom69

Gone but never forgotten
Try this go to Start/Run and type in msconfig,then click on start up and untick anything you can see to do with Tune up then on apply at the bottom reeboot and see if that screen still appears .....

shortys: Right click "my computer">click "properties">select "advanced tab>click "settings" in "startup and recovery">reduce "time to display list of operating systems" to zero. That should fix your problem of showing more than one OS on bootup.

pjblevin

awalker0878

Removed by request
pjblevin said:
shortys: Right click "my computer">click "properties">select "advanced tab>click "settings" in "startup and recovery">reduce "time to display list of operating systems" to zero. That should fix your problem of showing more than one OS on bootup.

pjblevin
Sure he won't see it but it will still be there

awalker0878

Removed by request
Shortys748 said:
ok this just recently started happening, when i start Windows instead of giogn straight to windows i get a message saying "Pick Os to run" giving me the choices of "Windows XP pro) or Windows XP backup this never came up before anyone know how to make it boot straight to windows without getting this problem?
Also you boot.ini states that you have Windows XP Home. Was the statement above a typeo or should your boot.ini state "Windows XP Professional"

Shortys748

pjblevin said:

pjblevin

yes that did cover it up but i would like it gone.......i want it to boot straight to windows Xp home

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online