1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP problems?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by watercolorli, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. watercolorli

watercolorli Thread Starter

:confused: I don't know if it's the Windows XP or the Aptiva IBM hard drive. Ever since I got the XP I have had nothing but problems. Mostly with viruses.. trojans.. and other things of which I don't know where to begin to talk about. I was wondering if I download my Windows 98 SE again.. will those problems go away? Or should I ditch the Aptiva? I called for Tech support to IBM for my Aptiva and they told me that they no longer suport Aptiva.. now what?
    Thanks for the help.. Lily

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

XP doesnt cause viruses etc ...stick with it its a great operating system .... go here and download adaware http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html be sure to click on updates before running it,then get rid of all that it finds .....

Then go here and download Spybot http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10122137.html?part=104443&subj=dlpage&tag=button again update it before running then get rid of anything it finds that is ticked in RED .....

Post back with progress report .....

How come your text just changes size????

3. watercolorli

I would love to do that.. but there isn't a toolbar coming up at the bottom of the windows screen any longer so I switch back to my old faithful computer.. my Pentium.. instead of the IBM. I really don't know what to do with it! Should I take it somewhere to be repaired? Or should I just take it out side to the garbage? Still frustrated :confused: ! LoL! Peace, Lily

4. telecom69

5. xgerryx

xgerryx

Just take your time and explain things as best you can. Someone here will guide you through.

6. telecom69

So you cant download anything then?

7. watercolorli

Telecom69, have you ever heard of Virus protection such as AVG or AVAST? I had both on the IBM and they still didn't help! Panda was also on there.. and it did nothing. I don't know why that stopped working.. besides not uploading any updates.

8. watercolorli

Nope..not on my IBM.. I guess that means I should take it to someone who can either fix the Aptiva or change out the Hard drive?

9. watercolorli

I must of got me a dandy of a virus.. huh? No toolbar at alll! I don't even know how to reconfigure the Aptiva.. to erase everything and start over. I have done the thing where you go back to the last date it worked right.. and that didn't even help. There must be one nasty virus on there! Dang it!

10. telecom69

Yes I know about AVG its the anti virus that I use myself,so I take it you ran that and it gave you the all clear ? about that XP you installed did you buy it from a shop or come by it with other means,it could cause you problems if its not legitimate,not suggesting it is,its just an observation .....

11. telecom69

12. watercolorli

Well.. actually.. it came from my sister. She got 4 computers at home and used one XP on all of her computers and sent me one that wasn't opened from her Dell computer. Do you really think that could be the problem? Dang!

13. telecom69

I cant say whether thats the problem or not but XP does have to be activated before it works,that I do know ....I will see if I can get you more help from someone more knowledgeable about the subject ..... so hang on in there,dont give up yet :)

14. watercolorli

Thank you.. you all are so kind! Although I did activate the Windows XP.. it's just not on a Dell. That might be the problem. Do you think? I hope not. I sure could use the IBM.. it's a little faster. Can I reconfigure the Aptiva. I couldn't when I called IBM.. they said they no longer supoort Aptiva.

15. watercolorli

I've heard that alot of people have problems with Windows XP. So I have two problems.. Windows XP and Aptiva Hard drive. That's my luck! Prayer didn't do me much good either. Unless my paryers brought me here. That could be! I don't believe in luck any how! I'm going to bed now.. I have to get up early.. but the moment I can get back on here.. I will! Thanks again! I think I'm going to love it here! Peace, Lily

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327660

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice