1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP Reinstall stuck in loop HELP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by golddust, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. golddust

golddust Thread Starter

OS crashed and am trying to reinstall Windows XP Pro. Problem is I've reached the blue Windows screens and getting error message that 'can't locate asms file'. Now I can't finish the install, and I can't boot from cd to try to reformat drive and reinstall. when I restart Windows XP splash screen comes up, the blue install windows comes up and the error message comes up. How do I get out of this mess???

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. First of all, you want to boot from the CD for the first time just to start the installation. The next boot and all after that should be from the hard drive. If that is not happening, you need to enter BIOS on the second boot and put the HD first.

For the asms error, you need to open regedit.

Press Shift+F10. At the command prompt, type: regedit.exe

Click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE so that it is highlighted. Click on the File menu and click "Load Hive". You want to load %Windir%\System32\Config\System.sav

When it asks for a name, pick one, like "Hive"

Find this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Hive\ControlSet1\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters.

Do the same for any other ControlSet keys you see under "Hive".

Click File, Exit. In the path box, put the letter for the CD-ROM and continue.

3. golddust

golddust Thread Starter

Have been trying to reboot from the cd and it keeps trying to restart install from where it left off, then the error message pops up. I'm not getting the boot from cd, press any key, screen at all. CD/DVD drive is first boot. That's how I got the original install started. It's stuck at a point near the end of the install and I can't get passed that.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. So then you open the command and continue the installation. Why is that not possible?

The asms error pops up because you have lost communication with the CD, but removing the registry keys should restore it.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are you not able to get a command window, regedit doesn't work, or what?

6. golddust

golddust Thread Starter

Can't get a command window. But now this morning I have another problem. Turned computer off last night, but it must have been in standby instead. Somehow it got started running again during the night and managed to complete the install - at least it looks that way. Now I have the login window for administrator and it's asking for a password. One problem, we never had a password on that computer.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Pretty strange machine. Maybe haunted. Tried a blank, right?

8. golddust

golddust Thread Starter

Well, we fixed it!! Took the darn thing out and took it back to Best Buy for a replacement. It's only 3 months old and has a five year warranty.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

That takes care of it. The whole machine or just the drive?

Hopefully, you didn't lose any data.

10. golddust

golddust Thread Starter

Just the drive. Fortunately, it is hubby's machine and he really doesn't do that much on it that is saved. I'm the one with the data on the machine, and I've learned about backing up the hard way. Don't take that chance anymore. Installed the OS and it's working fine now.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

A lot of bad drives lately around here, and many are brand new. Is there a disgruntled employee somewhere?

Glad you got it sorted.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/651180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice