Solved: WIndows XP Runas - Doesn't like space in our user names

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

StumpedTechy

When using Microsofts runas command I get an interesting problem. Anyone know of a workaround (besides the obvious answer of changing our user naming convention which isn't going to happen no matter how hard I try).

When I use the runas command on a machine I can run it as administrator I.E.

Runas /User:OurDomain\Administrator notepad.exe (does not matter what exe I am trying to run) I get the command prompt for a password and it then opens once the password is supplied.

but if I do -

Runas /User:OurDomain\User 01854 notepad.exe it will not work.

I.E. the persons login is User 01854 (note the space in the username)

the only thing I can see is that runas does NOT like the space because if I make a person called User01854 and then do the runas command it works just fine.

Anyone know how to get it to recognize the space as a space and NOT as a break in the command?

StumpedTechy

actually just putting quotes areound "/User:OurDomain\User 01854" was the answer. Thanks for the pointer though that made me think about them "encapsulating" the portion that needed to be done.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online