1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP Saved Wireless Passwords

Discussion in 'Networking' started by IsolatedSnail, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IsolatedSnail

IsolatedSnail Thread Starter

Okay, so here's my question. On my laptop about a year back, running WinXP MCE 2005, I accidentally mistyped a wireless password. After that day, I could go in and delete the network from advanced properties, change the password, in advanced properties and just by clicking connect and letting it fail once. And it would always revert back after a reboot to the incorrect password. I Googled for awhile and found no solution to fixing it and eventually I upgraded my laptop so it didn't matter. Now, :) my girlfriend's new freshly formatted laptop running WinXP Home is doing the exact same thing at her job. She fat-fingered the password once and everyday it resets back to the wrong password.

Any solutions? Command line switches or something I can run to clear the wireless key cache? Files I can delete?

*Note: The one I'm trying to fix is running WinXP Home. SP3, fully updated.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. IsolatedSnail

Yeah, I've done that. Once you add it back, it will take the correct password the first time and connect you no problem. You reboot then it has the old password again and won't connect. Any ideas? Sorry it took me so long to reply, finals week at my university plus work is really taxing me right now. Thanks for link, that was what I found when I first had the issue and Googled around but it seems to have some kind of cache in Windows still. Maybe it's just a glitch. It's only happened to me on 2 computers and I have close to 7-8 that run on my wireless regularly.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    One possibility is two wireless utilities running--one has the wrong password and the other has the correct one. Candidates include XP's Wireless Zero Configuration, a utility named for the laptop (e.g., Dell WLAN), and a utility named for the adapter (e.g., Intel Proset).

5. IsolatedSnail

It's only the windows wireless utility running. I actually was able to solve the problem on my girlfriends work computer by installing a 3rd party wireless app and typing the correct password into that. I still can't figure out what the deal is with windows. It's like it refuses to forget that password she put in originally.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920011

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice