1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP Setup does not support upgrading from Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bluetiger0990, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bluetiger0990

Bluetiger0990 Thread Starter

I am trying to install XP on my 2000 but it says: Windows XP Setup does not support upgrading from Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional to Microsoft Windows XP Professional.
    Setup cannot continue.

Do i have to reformat my HD?
    Do i have to reinstall everything on my HD some stuff i dont have the cd any more.
    Like Office 2003
    Thanks

2. Professor J

Professor J

I had to call MS for help when I had that problem. Spoke to a computer that seemed to help.

3. rossmission

rossmission

mabey you need to do a clean install?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Are you sure you are using xp pro and not home version? Win2k to xp pro is a supported upgrade however I really would do a clean install of any os. IMO upgrades are problematic at best.

5. Bluetiger0990

If i do a clean install does that mean that i have to reformat the HD?
    Would i loose all my software?

6. Bluetiger0990

It says that it is Windows XP pro on the cd.

"Windows XP Setup does not support upgrading from Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional to Microsoft Windows XP Professional.
    Setup cannot continue."
    ---Is what the error msg said

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Something is wrong because this mskb article shows you can upgrade win2k>xp pro. Are both win2k AND the xp cd regular retail MS versions or is one or both OEM or pre-installed?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes. That is why you backup any important data before you do an install OR attempt an upgrade.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Given the sizes of hard drives these days, I recommend copying the contents of all software you want to install to a the hard drive. You can put them under a general directly like INSTALL. So there would be INSTALL\Office2003 in this case. Then if you lose the CD, you can at least use what is already on your hard drive. It's also very easy to apply all the service pack updates to things like Office so you don't need to do it after the install. You can also have Office automatically insert the product ID as well.

10. Bluetiger0990

I upgraded to XP Pro service pack 1. How would i go about upgrading to SP2 i have the cd.

11. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you have the SP2 CD, then just insert it and run the update.

13. Bluetiger0990

okay thanks

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540484

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice