1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: windows xp shutdown,restart problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by shailendra086, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shailendra086

shailendra086 Thread Starter

HI,

When I try to shut down or restart my computer, the screen says" windows is shutting down" but it does't shutdown.The same message appears when i try to restart or go for standby mode.the system hangs for an endless time and nothing happens.every time i have to push the power button to turn off my computer.I tried to repair windows but the problem is still there.I have Compaq 610 laptop with windows xp professional ,sp2(version 2002).I am not an advance user and don't know what to do.

please reply me soon if anybody finds the solution. Thank you

2. Laz123

Laz123 Banned

If you can get into safe mode (tap F8 on bootup) try this first in case there's a nasty lurking:
    http://www.superantispyware.com
    http://www.malwarebytes.org

Download and install both, update them and scan and delete anything they find. If you can't get into safe mode or normal boot post back.

3. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Why hasn't Windows XP been upgraded to SP3 which was released over 4 years ago?

------------------------------------------------------------

4. shailendra086

Thanks for your reply but the problem is still there.I started windows in safe mode,downloaded "superantispyware" and "malwarebytes" ,installed & updated,Then scanned the system .Both of them detected a total of 51 malwares,adwares etc. & removed them.After that i restarted the system in normal mode.In safe mode there was no problem with shutdown & restart but in normal mode, again system did not shutdown or restarted, showing windows is shutting down.one thing more i would like to mention here ,the same problem happened few months ago and solved only after i formatted the "C drive ".I don't know should I go for that again or there is somthing which might help me.

reply soon,thanks

5. Laz123

Laz123 Banned

Have you installed SP3 as advised. That in itself cures lots of problems and makes the system more stable.

6. flavallee

Considering how long Windows XP has been in such an outdated condition, and considering the issues you're having with that computer, a clean reinstall of Windows XP and getting a fresh start may be the best option.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

7. shailendra086

Thanks for your advise friends, now i have XP SP 3 installed in my pc & is working fine.All problems related to shutdown & restart have been solved.thanks

8. flavallee

:) (y)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1077525