Solved: windows xp sp1-changing hard drive can I--???

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

xfile47

the ide cable in my xp computer only has one end on it hooked to my hard drive. a friends computer went caput so my question is--can I just unhook my hard drive and hook my friends hard drive up that came from windows 98 and then save some of his infomation on disks for him, or do I have to do the master, slave thing and hook it in that way, I just want to hook his up to get some info off it and then rehook mine up. Can I do that??

Lord Yorien says:

If his O/S is caput and you hook his HDD to your system, you'll still have a caput O/S that won't start... and in the extremely strage case it starts, since you'll most probably have a different hardware profile, you may mess up your friend's O/S even more.

Best way is to hook your friend's disk as a Slave/Secondary to your system, so you can boot with your XP and get the info from there.

Lord Yorien Dragonard

xfile47

his mother board went out. So can I just use another ide cable and then hook mine back up and his as a slave and do it that way? I am not sure if his harddrive is good or not. so can I hook it up that way just to find out if it is good or not.

xfile47

Ok, then wil I have to go into the BIOS and enable anything or not?? On my ide cable one end is on the motherboard and the other end is on the harddrive. can I hook the 2nd harddrive on the middle one as a slave or do I have to put the middle one on my hard drive and then the end one on his as a slave?? because it will check the middle one first won't it? or does it matter? Hope that doesn;t sound dumb but I thought it check the first one after the mother drive as the master if there was sometning hooked to it and the other end.??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online