Solved: Windows XP SP1-USB Problem, not working please read my question?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

xfile47

My sisterinlaws daughter was using her computer a HP PAVILLION a600y with windows XP SP1.

She has had this computer for quite a long time 3 years or so. she had a printer, scanner and a camera hooked up to it and they always worked fine she said. Her daughter one night was going to plug the camera in, in the front USB port and I guess it wasn't going in good and my sisterinlaw said she forced it in (in otherwards pushed really hard on it) from then on she can't get the camera, scanner, or printer to work. She brought it to me.

My first question is
If the one front USB port quits working for whatever reason, are they like daisy chained so the others won't work either? cause none are working not even the 4 on the back side.
I uninstalled all the usb ports and then rebooted and it says it finds new hardware usb and reshows them in the divice manager but the printer will not work. ( I am trying to get it working first) I uninstalled the software and reinstalled etc and the best it will do is you can go into word, or notepad whichever and type alittle and then click print and the print box will come up where you can choose how many copies etc so you click print again and the little printer icon shows up in the tray for a few secs so it acts like it is going to print but the the little printer icon disappears and nothing will print. Her printer an HP BUSINESS INKJET 1100d shows a little toolbox icon also and if you click on that and click the restore a box comes up and says only have one way communicaion. My sister inlaw also said when this first happened that if she tried to use the scanner it would give an error about a communicaion problem and I told her that is usually that it is pointed to the wrong port. Hers is USB and is pointed there.

Also I tried to plug my jump drive into her usb port and the lite on the jump drive does not lite up and it shows nothing of another drive in my computer.

I then hooked her printer to my computer (the one I am typing on now) and ran the software and did what your suppose to and presto the printer works fine.

I guess my question is does that then sound like her USB port system is no good?
If one was messed up will it mess them all up?
by my jump drive also not working in her USB ports does that help to say they are not working?

If they are not, then would it work to buy a PCI Card with 4 or 5 USB Ports on it and then she could have USB that way?? Please someone give me there ideas of whats wrong, are they no good, will the pci card way work. THANKS

pugmug

Banned
As usb ports are hot swapable, by what you say she messed up the usb on her mobo as in a fused circuit. Force does not work well with computers. A usb pci card is cheap and may be what she needs now, or a new mobo.

xfile47

That exactly what I was thinking, So if she wanted to she could use a pci card with usb ports on it and then if she wanted to she could also get another external usb to plug into one ot those ports so she sould have one on the desk for easy accessibility?

xfile47

Thanks, thats what I was waiting for, I will get a pci card and do it that way, I will marked this solved, and thank you very much

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online