1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows xp sp2--Computer is freezing up--just started doing it please read

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xfile47, May 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

My neighbors computer which I help take care of her computer she is an older lady and very nice, anyway she has an HP Pavilion 511w with windows xp home sp2. I know the computer is clean, I clean it for her once a month, make sure the antivirus is upto date and she has spyblaster, IE-spyad--scriptdefender-spyware guard . I run spybot everytime I am there and I ran malwarebytes. everything is clean I have also ran AVG Antispyware. Anyway just about a month ago her computer started freezing up on her when she is in her e-mail but when she is doing other things also. I thought maybe it was a driver for the graphics card but I got the newest driver and it still does it. I am stumped. Can anyone give me some hints as far as what I could try or check or anything? As you no somethng like that really bugs you after awhile so I told her I would ask around for her and see what I could find out. Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does "freeze up" mean that nothing can be done except hold the power button until it turns off? Ctrl + Alt + Del won't bring up Task Manager? Any sound of anything happening--disk, fan?

3. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Sorry, Yea, the screen freezes can't click on anything mouse won't move,; Ctrl-alt-delete won't do anything, the only thing she can do is to turn it off at the tower and then start it again and use it till it happens again then turn it off at the tower which I told her is not a good thing to be doing. anymore info I can let you know just let me no

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'd look in the Events viewer to see if anything interesting occurs just before the freeze.

Try Safe Mode with Networking to see if the freezes still occur.

Other than those two things I can't think of what might be the cause or what else to ask or try.

5. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

I will check it out tomorrow, I am will to try anything for her, she is getting frustratied and I don't blame her, I will let you know if I find anything. Thanks

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know if overheating can cause a freeze but it may be worthwhile to open the case and shoo out the dust bunnies and clear any crud from the heat sink.

I don't know if a memory fault can cause a freeze but a test wouldn't hurt: http://www.memtest.org/

7. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Anyone else got any ideas that can be tried?

8. XPuserSoCal

XPuserSoCal

I have defintely seen bad memory or overheating cause problems similar...

9. dman4862

dman4862

I would agree with terrynet, download and run memtest to check for any errors in the memory. You could also try downloading speedfan to see if any overheating is occuring as well.

10. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Thanks I will download both and run them and let you no if that is it

11. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Where do you get speed fan at?

12. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

13. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Do I just download this and put it on a cd and then open it like any zip file on her computer and start it up? I am not dumb just have not run this memtest before or do you have to use it like a boot cd

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I haven't actually used Memtest since it was the "old" one using a floppy disk. But I think that the deal is you create a bootable; earlier I posted the following for somebody who was totally lost, so don't take offense at the parts you already know.

Double click on the .zip and extract the files. Double click on the .iso file. If Windows doesn't know what to do with it, download and install ISO Recorder: http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Then double click the .iso file, stick a blank CD-R (I think CD-RW also works) into your CD writing drive and go.

To use you will likely have to go into the BIOS (Setup) and change the boot order to put CD before hard drive.

15. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Thanks TerryNet, I appreciate it much, anyone else have any idea's I am open to suggestions, in the mean time, I will try memtest now that TerryNet was good enough to tell me how, Thanks again

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/714510

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice