1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP SP2-Modem dials out but give error 676 line busy-Please help?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xfile47, Aug 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Windows XP SP2

I am trying to help my sister inlaw get her dial-up working again.

You can hear the modem dial out but always comes up with error 676 line busy,

I deleted the dial up she had and went through it and reput everything in and it still came up with line busy.

I uninstalled and then rebooted and it found the modem and installed it. I tried to dial up again and it was the same thing 676 line busy.

I went to control panel> phone and modem and went in where you can query the modem and got answers back . and also it says it is working properly.

The only thing I can think of is if something else is trying to dial out or use the modem and making it busy.

I guess this is my question now
    I am not at her house anymore she lives about 80 miles from here but if I can get an answer I will call her and take her throught it.

In her device manager she show com1, com2, and LPT1
    Her modem is on com3

Would it help and/or can I go into device manager and uninstall the com1 and com2 and then reboot and will that reinstall them and if so do you think that would help??

This problem started I guess when she was going to get DSL and her ISP I guess sent her the stuff, the external modem, etc and then they said she waas to far away. I think she tried to hook it up. I was not there. But when I looked at it today everything was back where it belonged and she never had a problem before she messed with the dsl stuff. Can someone tell me if that would help??
    I and she called the dial up number and it is not busy..

After reading this what would be my next logical step?? Please help, she just called me again and I told her I would see what I could find out.

She has a Lucent win voice modem
    I also just went to the hp site her computer is an hp pavillion 540n and I called and had her type int the intialization string AT&F&C1&D2&K3+MS=V34 which is for her computer then told her to try to connect and it still said line busy.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The modem should be on COM3, so all that is correct.

Causes of error 676 can include:

You are dialing the wrong number

There is a problem at your ISP or in the telephone network

You have voice-mail or other custom calling feature that produces a stutter dial-tone

You haven't specified the proper country settings for your modem and the number you are dialing

If you include the disable call waiting code in your dialing, and your phone line does not support call waiting; or, if you have call waiting, but your phone company doesn't support the disable call waiting code.

Dial the number the modem should be dialling using a phone. Do you get a connection (modem tone) or a "no such number or other non answer tone. If you do not get the modem "squeal" then the number is wrong.

When your modem dials, listen in with another phone on the line, what do you hear? You should hear the modem sqeals as above.

Its also possible that the modem is dead, from such an event as a lightning storm. The PC thinks its OK but the fault is on the outgoing side where the PC cannot check, so you get the response you are posting about. In this case buy a new modem.

3. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

I am very sorry for taking up your time. I called them back and told them they have to check the line from the computer to the where the phone line hooks to the wall. they said they did one time but I told them to check it again. Well low and behold they were getting a busy signal. so I told them to run a line from there computer to the phone jack she was talking on and yess it worked then. It came out then that her daughter had said she checked the phone jack but didn't. I told her how much trouble she could have save herself and me if she would have checked it like she said. Anyway, they are happy campers now cause it is working. Thanks for your time. I really appreciate it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/390518

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice