1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP SP2-save to desktop-saves it to the desktop folder not the desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xfile47, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

If I want to save a word doc or a downloaded program whatever it is to my desktop that is where it goes, except all of sudden it doesn't, Take a word doc and it just did it for a program to. when the word doc is done I go to file>save as>the make sure desktop is in the dropdown box and clicked on and then name the doc and click save. I have did it a million times, but now, instead of showing up my desktop I have to go into my computer>C drive> my documents>owner> then desktop and there it is, I can cut and paste it back to the desktop but why all of a sudden is it saving it there?

2. kimsland

kimsland

C drive> my documents>owner> then desktop

Must not be your Desktop

Go to My Computer - C Drive - Documents + Settings - (your user account) - Desktop

To really confirm this:

When saving a document in Word, instead of the first Desktop that you see, use the drop down box and select the Desktop right up the top (you may need to move the side bar)

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

The desktop folder and the desktop are the exact same thing and place, unless, as kimsland has suggested, you are saving to someone else's desktop.

If you are sure that you are looking into your desktop folder, then the program is also on your desktop, even if you can't find or see it. The desktop is just a folder, specialized to show its contents differently from other folders. Try rearranging your icons, or arranging automatically to get everything in order so you can find it.

4. kimsland

kimsland

I agree the icon may be off screen.

But there are more Desktop folders than one

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

There's one per account. So if it's under your account, that is the one.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/652391

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice