1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP SP2- Screen freezing-no pattern- but lots- Can someone help? Pleas

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xfile47, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

HP Computer
    windows xp sp2
    Its a neighbor of mine I help them take care of their computer all the time.

The problem is the screen freezing randomly, it might be in 3 min might be 5 or 10 or 25, it does it after it has been turned off for awhile or all night or when you have been on it for awhile or quite awhile. Point being its not heating up cause it does it when it has been off for hours them 3 or 4 min after it is turned on or sometime it might be 2 hours after you turn it on. I had a thread a couple of weeks ago about this same computer I came to the conclusion that it was the Powersupply, so I put in a brand new 400W powersupply and it ran great (no freeze ups for a few days then all of a sudden it started in again).

The mouse freezes so they can't do anything but shut it down at the tower so I gave them another usb mouse tonight and told them when it freezes to unplug there mouse and put the new usb mouse in and see it it works right away then it would be the mouse. I have great doubts about it being that but I am at witts end. I consider myself pretty good at fixing computers hardware and software problems but I am lost. I have no idea. I looked in the divice manager everything is ok, checked the events and nothing happening there. I know the computer is clean of viruses or spyware cause I keep it clean for them monthly.

Spybot
    Spyblaster
    ie-spyad
    script defender
    AVG 8.0
    Windows defender

also ran malware bytes
    everything is clean

Computer is about 7 years old but runs great (except for this problem)
    The only thing I haven't done yet is run a memory test, I have that mem test but it is a program I haven't run before and don't no what to do, I have no directions to follow for it or how to read it when it is done.

Could it possible have anything to do graphics card at all, she did say that every once in awhile when it freezes (not all the time but I suppose like every 5 or 6 times the screen goes black. they always turn it off at the tower and then when they restart it is is ok till it happens again. THERE IS NO ERROR MESSAGE. no error message at all.

Can someone help, have any idea's, anything possible to try, at this point anythjing is worth a try. Please help. Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

The first thing that comes to mind with older machines is overheating. They can accumulate a lot of dust (even in the cleanest places) and fans can get bogged down. Check all your air intakes and remove dust from the interior. Make sure that all fans are moving (including the one on the graphics card, if present).

While inside, check all your connectiuons and make sure the graphics card is firmly in its slot.

If that doesn't help, try a memory test:

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista and can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.

3. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Guess I will try the memory test, I have had the computer case open and cleaned everything and like I said, if the computer sits all night off, and then you start it up it wouldn't have time to heat up in 3 or 4 min, at least I would n't think so. If I didn't wannt to run the mem test it would be the same thing if I had some extra ram and just took her ram out and add some different ram, right? I think she has 256mb of ram I believe it is PC 100 but I will check and I think it would be just as easy to replace the ram to check if the ram was the problem, would you agree on that?

4. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Wanted to let the people who helped me know that it was not the power supply, that helped for a day or two but then it was doing the same thing, it was the RAM. I didn't run the test but had some used RAM that was her type. Put it in and that was about 4 or 5 days ago and it has not done it since. So solved but was the RAM not the Powersupply. Thought some of you might want to know.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/720628

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice