1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP Startup and Shutdown Sounds aren't working!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by rgarr, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rgarr

rgarr Thread Starter

Please Help!!!!

I'm running Win XP Home Edition SP2 and I've searched Google and Win knowledge base to no avail...also Kelly's Corner web site.

When the PC is turned on and off the default Start Windows
    and Exit Windows sound is not played through the speakers
    which are turned on. All other Windows sounds are played
    correctly.

I have checked the sound properties in Control
    Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices /Properties and the Windows
    Default Sound Scheme is selected. The corresponding .wav
    files are in place i.e. Windows XP Shutdown.wav and
    Windows XP Startup.wav.
    Please advise how I can rectify this fault.
    Thanks
    :eek:

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

While you are there, if you click on the PLAY button for these sounds, do they in fact play correctly?

3. rgarr

rgarr Thread Starter

Yes...all of them...including the startup and shutdown wavs! It is only when yo go to shutdown or startup the PC that they don't sound!

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

On this site, scroll to 211, and download the REG file. Then, double click on it, to add to the registry.

5. rgarr

rgarr Thread Starter

Hi Whitphil,

I already tried Kelly's corner as I stated in my original post...but to no avail! I appreciate your help though...haven't seen you since the early days on Vr.Dr.

I found a fix for my problem and I'm posting it here in the hopes that it may help others. It is as follows below:

The no startup/shutdown sound was a problem possibly caused by a reg fix program that optimized the XP shutdown. I found the solution at one of the XP tweak sites. It is caused by a missing beep on error registry entry. To fix it, you'll need the TweakUI powertoy for XP from Microsoft. It's a useful tool.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/tweakui

After installation of TweakUI, open the TweakuUI tool, by clicking [Start], All Programs, power toys for Win. XP, etc. With the TweakUI open, goto the -General- setting and then check the "Beep on errors". This should restore the startup and shutdown sounds. This worked for me.

Thank you All!

6. default_beep

default_beep

Sorry to resurrect this old thread. It's an old one but a good one. As per the previous poster, it may help someone in need. It bugged the hell outta me. Unfortunately, TweakUI won't create the reg key if it's missing, so can't fix the problem by itself. Like many WinXP quirks the solution is trivial. Just make sure you have the following reg key:

HKCU\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\.Default

If the final \.Default is missing, just create the key. That's it. When you now go back to the sounds & audio devices control panel, the default beep event is again available from the list. Select it & give it a sound. Your startup/shutdown & logon/logoff sounds will now work.

7. aquafloe

aquafloe

I've tried all the fixes listed on this page, but I still have the problem. This is one of many issues that forced me to reinstall xp, and now it's back again.:( Is there any other way to fix it?

8. jberenyi

jberenyi

I have the same problem. I have looked everywhere for this fix and can't find one. Someone out there must have solved this issue. HELP!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484342

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice