Solved: windows xp startup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

yellow69

Hey
I turned my PC on today and got the following error

Windows could not start because the follwing file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup cd-rom...

I turned my pc off and then back on and the system booted as normal - all systems working

I now do not want to shut down my pc in case I get the above error as my windows xp home edition was pre installed in my pc and I do not have the original setup cd.

Any ideas on what to do to stop this error appearing again would be appreciated.
thanks

yellow69

this exact same thing happened last wk - so I ran a system restore thinking this would rectify the issue. Then I got the same error message today - I was relieved when a switch off and back on allowed my pc to boot. I have all my info backed up but am panicking if a switch off and on does not work and I continue to get the windows corrupt or missing error - as I do not have the original CD for windows xp as it was pre installed on purchase and I cannot get a copy of this as the company no longer exists

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online