1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP STOP Error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RoadDaddy, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RoadDaddy

RoadDaddy Thread Starter

My well maintained but slightly aging XP PC just started getting BLUE SCREEN STOP errors upon re-boot.

STOP:0X0000007E ....more data but it passes by so fast I am not able to capture it all.

The PC is protected by a hardware firewall and Webroot Security Essentials.

I didn't load any new software or drivers, BUT I had to do a master re-set (hard power down) when the PC became unresponsive, might have started the STOP error after that.

I am not able to recover with the Windows XP install disk, just keep getting the STOP error.

I just keep trying SAFE mode, it fails and reattempts over and over. After awhile, I might get a diskchk and the PC will boot normally after that, or I might have to power down a few times

Windows update is configured and automatically gets the required software updates.

I did some searching on the Web and found some general info for this error, but have not been able to find a resolution.

I have worked with this forum before and resolved a very complex virus issue months ago, so I will be able to work effectively with you.

Please consider giving me a hand with this, I really need to get this thing up and running again. I will make the suggested donation to the forum upon resolution of this issue.

2. RoadDaddy

RoadDaddy Thread Starter

Thought I could add this basic info...

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 1023 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation), 64 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 76297 MB, Free - 34708 MB; F: Total - 76316 MB, Free - 75421 MB;
    Motherboard: Intel Corporation , D850MV , AAA57887-301 , IUMV20516563
    Antivirus: Webroot Internet Security Essentials, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

3. itsjusme

itsjusme

Try using the PAUSE BREAK key and see if you can get the complete stop error next time it occurs. If not, next time you get it to boot zip the MINI DUMP files and attach them in your next post. There are a number of people here that can decipher them and possibly find the problem. You can also check in event viewer and see if you see anything.

4. RoadDaddy

RoadDaddy Thread Starter

itsjustme, thanks for your reply...! I need a little help understanding MINI DUMP files and event viewer in this context, these are utilities that I have not used in the past. If you could provide me a little guidance here, I will be glad to post the files. It's easy to re-create, just power down and the next startup will be questionable... :)

5. RoadDaddy

RoadDaddy Thread Starter

itsjustme, ok I figured out where the minidump files are stored.. :) working on the event viewer question....

6. RoadDaddy

RoadDaddy Thread Starter

itsjustme, ok I now have documentation on the event viewer, I will pull together that data and post...thanks....:)

7. itsjusme

itsjusme

Ok, just select the latest dump file if there are more than one, zip it and attach it in a post. For event viewer, right click on: MY COMPUTER, click on : MANAGE, and in the drop down pane on the left, select EVENT VIEWER>SYSTEM . See if there are any errors that might give you some info.

EDIT: Sorry, i type too slow, was typing while you were posting. The mini dump and event viewer data will help the guru`s help with your problem.

8. RoadDaddy

RoadDaddy Thread Starter

very good, thanks...! running out of time tonight, but will have this posted by tomorrow early... :)

9. itsjusme

itsjusme

Ok, these guys stay pretty busy and theres only a handful of people that can analyze the dump files, so have patience, specially with it being new years eve. Once you get em posted, you can click the REPORT button and ask someone to look at them.

10. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

POSSIBLY with the STOP error and the circumstances a memory failure I suggest you try this.

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
    ...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
    2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
    3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
    4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
    5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
    6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
    7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

[​IMG]

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
    9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

[​IMG]

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

• Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
      This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
      Find the Advanced area and click Enter
      Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
      Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
      Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
      Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
      You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

[​IMG]

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

[​IMG]

The following image is the test results area:

[​IMG]

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

11. RoadDaddy

RoadDaddy Thread Starter

thanks MacBoatMaster, no files in the minidump directory...I will work on your suggestions later tonight or early tomorrow, there were events in the event viewer, but I have to review for the relevant events...

12. Macboatmaster

go f8 and see if you have a "disable restart on failure" if so check that.
    We can then get a full error code

13. RoadDaddy

RoadDaddy Thread Starter

MacboatMaster - working on the memory test now...! Selected "disable restart on system failure" and was able to provide more detailed technical data:

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x806F6998, 0xF798E5DC, 0xF7988E2D8)

Seems to occur everytime I start or re-start my PC.

14. RoadDaddy

RoadDaddy Thread Starter

Memory test is running...:)

15. Macboatmaster

If memtest completes without failure

Download, and install WhoCrashed: http://www.resplende...rashedSetup.exe
    Open it, click Analyze button.
    WhoCrashed will create report.
    Copy, and paste it into your next reply.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971875

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice