1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP Will not Boot Except to Recovery Console

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Soundchick, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soundchick

Soundchick Thread Starter

Last night, I ran a VirusScan with McAfee Security Suite (2007, I think) and left the computer to let it run. I came back a few hours later and there was a blue stop error. Being the genius I am, I didn't write it down and simply rebooted the computer. Well, it only will attempt to boot to PXE. I cannot get it to boot to safe mode. As a last resort, I popped in my WinXP disk and was able to boot to the recovery console. Here's the odd thing: If I run chkdsk, it tells me there is nothing wrong with the disk. I tell it to run anyway and it tells me that one 1 more errors were found. I can then restart and it will boot normally. If I shutdown the computer after that, I cannot boot it again! If I go through the recovery console and chkdsk again, it will boot. I did try a system restore to Friday, but the same problem ocurred. I don't think the hard drive is bad (Western DIgital 60 GB.) I believe it is a Windows problem, but I'm not sure what to do next as I have never encountered this. Any ideas?

2. Soundchick

Update: I think I may have figured it out. I believe the CMOS battery is dead or going dead. I am going to remove and replace it tonight and see if that works.

3. Soundchick

I fixed it without too much damage. It was the CMOS battery. Popped it out and back in and reconfigured the bios.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489875

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice