Solved: Windows XP, will not boot up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

davemac13

I am trying to help a friend get her PC back running. From what I can tell the PC is full of spyware and likely a virus or 2. I'm told that it kept gettin slower and slower and eventually got to the point where it won't even boot up. In normal mode it begins loading windows and then stops and doees a disk check, following completion it reboots and gdoes the check disk again, over and over. I tried to start in safe mode but it stalls when it is loading a driver file,(.......\windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys) then it hangs for about 5 minutes reboots itself and starts all this over and over. Last Known good config does the same thing. It did not come with the XP CD and if it came with a restore CD, she can't find it. Is there a Windows XP startup disk that can be downloaded or something, that I can use to get it going?? I tried with a Win98 startup floppy and it will boot into the Dos prompt, so I can look at the files on the C drive, but won't allow me to go any further.

Does anyone have a suggestion on starting this thing up, if I can only get it to safe mode I am sure I can clean up the problem for her.

BTW, she advises that the virus scan software, just stopped working and that she never ran a windows update, so it is the original XP that was installed in 2002, no Service Packs.

Thanks
Dave

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online