Solved: Windows xp will not logon, activation error?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

darthrevan945

After SP3 install windows suddenly will not let me login no matter what. THIS IS A LAGITAMATE DISC NOT PIRATED. it even activated as genuine before i installed sp3, it let me use windows update. but then I decided to install sp3 because i didnt want to install 103 updates.

really happy im dual booting with windows 98!:D

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Try going to Start>Run

Type in just this > winver (then press OK or your Enter key)

copy and paste or record what it says there for the Windows ID and info and post it. You need not post the "LIcensed to....." bits

darthrevan945

I cant get to the run command. when i press my user name on the welcome screen it says windows was unable to activate, hardware problem or something with a 0x error. so i cant even launch windows explorer. being as windows 98 wont read ntfs i suppose there isnt any thing i can do from here.

darthrevan945

yes i can boot into safemode. also in safe mode i opened system information, and under activation status it says pending 0 days remaining. winxp has been installed 1.5 days now and was already activated.

the message says "A problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error code: 0x80004005"

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Did you make any hardware changes in the past few days?

I think however, the problem is the validation checker you get along with Windows Updates....if they finished, you get a newer version once in a while (with a SP, definitely) and they are updated.

It does happen that a once valid Volume License Key has been "pulled" that is, no longer will be Validated

XP Pro? or Home??? I asked for the winver report.....

XP Pro Volume types do not go through Activation... you do not see the request to try Activating....it just does it. But>>>> later on, when the newer Genuine Validation takes place, it is detected as not legitimate.

darthrevan945

XP pro. build 2600 sp3

i have not changed any hardware, unless a pcmcia usb card counts.

should i uninstall the SP from safe mode, or just reformat that partition and reinstall xp, or i might install 7.

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
I am not sure but you may be able to get a screen shot in Safe Mode with Networking

If you could try this:

Start>Run>winver

Press "Print Screen" key once

Open MS Paint from Start>all progs>Accessories>>Paint

Right click inside the blank space and select Paste

Save the picture file as whatever.jpg

Attach the picture file using "Manage Aattachments" button down below Miscellaneous Options... you simply use the Browse window that comes up and go to the file location for your screenshot and submit/upload the file and it should appear in your reply

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Well, you certainly have some options....the longest lasting might be installing Win 7 RC

That will be good till June 2010 when it will start notifying about the end of it's life.

Reinstalling Pro will not change how the activation or validation goes.

RE: PCMCIA cards in my experience do not affect activation.

Network cards do count though, in a big way, they are like 10 points. was it a network adapter? Can you get by without that one? (In tower type computers they do count heavily.... so, if you had one that has been in when XP was activated, and changed to another, that might trigger activation..not sure that a PCMCIA network card would do anything, since you are not changing the original device (like built in WiFi) only adding a new device....ya never know)

darthrevan945

i thought it would be. can i start the install of 7 RC from xp safe mode, because it always freezes when i boot to the disc.

thank you for your replys

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online