1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP Will not open programs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Omega_Shadow, Apr 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow Thread Starter

From what I can tell, some sort of weird security messure is in place. Whenever I try to open any programs the computer simply does not respond. When I right click on links/programs I have the option "Run As"

Clicking that brings the attached dialog up.

If I unclick "protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity" I can run the program.

Someone please tell me how to turn this #### thing off!!

Attached Files:

2. trainump

trainump

Go to the Properties of My Computer. Click the Advanced tab and then Settings under Performance. Click the Data Execution Prevention tab and click on the Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only. Click OK.

Also check the group policy as shown in the attached picture.

Attached Files:

• gp.JPG
      gp.JPG
      File size:
      163.4 KB
      Views:
  3. Omega_Shadow

Will I have to do this under all users names or can I just do it once for everyone?

4. Emil

Emil

trainump
    My computer under windows XP has no "Properties" selection where do you find that.
    Thanks
    Never mind I found the answer
    Thanks

5. Omega_Shadow

Emil, you had the same problem?

Can this come on automaticly? What would trigger it?

6. Emil

Emil

omega
    I have a similar problem, there are certain programs that I use to be able to run but now I just get the following ERROR MESSAGE;

C:\windows\system32\config.NT . The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose CLOSE to terminate the application.

I am not sure if the solution will be the same.
    Thanks

7. trainump

trainump

8. Omega_Shadow

Ok, could not get into computer properties at all. Managed to get into System restore though. Problem solved.

I think it is strange that this happend all on its own. It looks like you have to deliberaty activate it. This is far from the story given by my friend that he turned on his computer one day and it was just like that.

9. Emil

Emil

Omega
    Aafter going to the MS website and performing the operations posted, now the ERROR MESSAGE said;
    Can not find VBRUN300.dll

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/357861