1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows xp won't start...(and i now hate limewire)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by emp813, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. emp813

emp813 Thread Starter

i've got windows xp sp2 professional edition on my desktop. i'm on my laptop right now because my desktop won't start. i'm not sure if this has already been answered, please tell me if yes. i didn't have time to search everything. they were simply too many. anyway, i'm sure my problem is sort of unique.

i downloaded a video from limewire and then i could not open it, everytime i try to, my comp goes into hyperdrive and won't stop trying to process something. it just simply hangs. i deleted the video from the limewire control panel and i restarted my desktop. then it won't start, it says that:

windows\system32\config\system is corrupted or missing and i have to use my setup cd-rom to restore the system files. can u guys help out on how to do this properly? i'm not that good with hardware. i'm good with programming but i suck with hardware stuff. pls help.

how do u boot from cd? how do you do this step-by-step? will my files be gone when i restore my system files? did that video from limewire cause this? is it possible that video had some virus that messed with my registry?

i have spyware doctor and bitdefender 9 pro plus. every security setting was always set to recommended levels.

i'll donate as soon as i can. this forum has helped me out of a big spyware infection.

2. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

SYSTEM is a file. Connected with the SAM database. I don't know if I'm allowed to tell you what those two files are for... But if your P2P found you a good virus that messed with it, I'd backup and reinstall Windows. First you need to get all the files you want to keep from the harddrive. There's two ways you could go about this:

1. Buy a new harddrive, install Windows, THEN connect the corrupted HD as a slave to view your files.

2. Buy an enclosure to turn your desktop harddrive into an external, connect it to your laptop to backup files you want to keep (carefully around the viruses,) reconnect it to your desktop and do a complete format/reinstall of Windows.

To boot from CD, hit ESC or one of the F* keys to enter the BIOS settings, during & after the BIOS splash screen but before the Windows loading screen. (usually it tells you which key to press on the BIOS screen.) Change the Boot Order/Priority so CD-ROM is first, "Save settings and exit." Insert your Windows disc and hit any key to boot from CD when you are prompted.

To make a long story short, your going to learn a lot about computers in this process. Also a good reason not to use P2P - sharing friends are not very friendly (P2P is a great way to test new viruses on the unscrupulous.)

3. emp813

emp813 Thread Starter

thanks, chauncey. what about a live cd? will it work? my friend drove all the way from melbourne to help me out. he was carrying a liveCD, says its linux that runs off the cd. i don't know wat this means exactly. just to be safe, i'm asking here first before i try it. will a liveCD get my files back from my desktop?

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

5. emp813

emp813 Thread Starter

yeah, i suck at hardware. really need help with this. so, will a liveCD work? will it get my stuff back from my desktop?

6. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Linux LiveCD... Maybe. I think that linux can see NTFS partitions but I can't remember (It's been awhile). Well it won't anything anyway, give it a shot.

7. emp813

emp813 Thread Starter

on second thought, we decided not to stick in the linux liveCD. will this work:
    1. insert my windows xp setup cd and repair the corrupted system files
    2. insert a flash disk
    3. transfer all my files from desktop to laptop
    4. then reformat the desktop
    will these steps help?

PS. did that video from limewire had anything to do with corrupting my registry?

8. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Either way is up to you. Using a live CD, such as Knoppix, is far easier to do, but restoring the Registry would allow you to get your system back without the need to format.

9. emp813

emp813 Thread Starter

when i inserted the linux live cd, i didnt know how to copy files to flash disk. i'm not sure if it detected the flash disk. and yeah, it was knoppix. knoppix 3.8. it kept saying "cannot copy to uba1"

i inserted my windows xp setup cd, but it asked for an admin password. but the problem is, i never put an admin password. i pressed ENTER but it said invalid password.

i'm now sounding a red alert. HELP!

10. nappymonster

nappymonster

Yes, the video will have caused this.

I personally would try and repair the registry and corrupt files, so (as said above) you don't need to format it.

In the future, either don't use P2P, or use addon bits of software to it that block IPs that are known to distribute viruses.

11. emp813

emp813 Thread Starter

its ok now, i managed to remember the password. windows booted up fine. but now everything is all so..... different. where are my files? i don't exactly understand this but i'm sure all i did was repair the registry. and now everything's gone.

where are my files? pls tell me they're still there. how do i get them back?

12. emp813

emp813 Thread Starter

how do i get all my files? i see some of my files are there. but others aren't.

HELP. and i'm planning to reformat. my drive D will still be intact right? i mean if i reformat, only my drive C will be wiped, but not my drive D. this correct?

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

To be certain you don't accidentally "whack" "D" drive, unplug it before you reformat.

14. dogged

dogged

you can try booting to a live linux cd and then see if you can find the files in your c drive you wish to save and just simply send them to your d drive. once that is done do as recommended and disconnect the d drive then re-install your OS. more than likely though after you did that repair you removed accidently alot of your files (the ones you can't find). meaning that only the files you do see are the ones you can save. and lol re-reading your last few posts you can obviously get to your desktop so just send what you want to keep to the d drive and then re-install.

15. emp813

emp813 Thread Starter

i should have been clearer. pls forgive me bcoz i suck with hardware.

i used my win xp setup cd to repair the corrupted registry. what happened is that it deleted the corrupt registry and saved them to a tmp folder. and then it copied the repair files, found in c:\windows\repair, to the locations where the corrupted registry resided. this allowed my comp to finally startup.

after this, i looked at my desktop. some of my files are there but others aren't. i have not touched my desktop since. my friend says all of my files are still there but bcoz the registry was reset, my comp doesn't know where they are.

how do i get all my files back?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice