1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP won't start

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jackdup, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jackdup

jackdup Thread Starter

I have an HP desktop with XP Media Center Edition and when booting it comes up to the Windows XP screen with the blue bar scolling across the bottom, which all of a sudden stops and just hangs.

As it is an HP I can't simply put in the XP disk and choose to repair the OS as all I have is recovery disks and really don't want to do a recovery as then I have to reinstall all of my applications, and simply don't have that kind of time.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what things I might try that would get it up and running again? The last shut down was normal, I think anyway. I did a shut down earlier today and while it was shutting down it said it was installing an update and to wait for the installation to finish before shutting down. I am quite sure I did another shut down and restart since I got that message but it is possible it was the last shut down.

Thanks

2. frankjohn

frankjohn

Restart the pc while restarting keep tapping F8 to get into safe mode and try a system restore before the problem happened.

3. jackdup

jackdup Thread Starter

I should have mentioned the second time I restarted it gave me the option of starting in safe mode however it hung as well.

4. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Try..
    Safe mode with command prompt.
    Log on as an admin.
    At command prompt type
    %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

This will launch System Restore.

5. frankjohn

frankjohn

ITS possible that it might be a memory problem [guessing] if your using more than 1 pull out and try as a test

6. jackdup

jackdup Thread Starter

Well I really messed up, inadvertently, and now have a new copy of windows with no restore points.

I have an external hard drive that backed up the entire drive C when it was installed and updates the backup every night.

It is a Seagate drive and uses it's own Seagate Manager to do the backup. I have tried to find a way to restore the entire drive C from the backup on the external Seagate drive but can only find a way to restore individual files.

Does anyone know of a way to restore the entire backup from Seagate Manager or alternately restore the original files needed to access restore points stored in the backup, and files needed from the backup to do a restore.

Thanks

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice