1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: windows xp xcopy (or similar command) help please

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xxjonahxx, Sep 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xxjonahxx

xxjonahxx Thread Starter

hi there i have allready posted for advice on antoher problem but i think if i can possibly save my files from being formatted when i reinstall xp..as recover dosnt work...
    my question is this
    can i use xcopy (and how?) to copy the my documents folder in windows to another file on the c: then reinstall windows and the file which ill put in somethnig like c:\games be safe as i know that anything connected to windows wil be lost forever an ill cry

if this didnt make sense ill re itterate as it is very complicated fro me allready
    also what i didnt say in my lst post is that this site is an amazing resourse..so far itas been of not too mcuh use but it had helped me so mcuh so thanx guys!

also how can i run scandisxk from dos bearing in mind the olny way i can get a dos prompt (as far as i know) is by boting from my xo cd and chosing (R)restore

p.s if i can get this problenm fixed at all i get paid tommorow and might be feeling ina generous mood to donate to your fantastic site!

2. zmaster

zmaster

We're going to need more info. Are you using a fat32 or ntfs file system? This can be found out by going to windows explorer and right clicking on your c: drive and choosing properties.

You can get to the dos prompt by: pressing the F8 key continuously while your computer is starting up, then when it brings up the options go to command prompt.

3. xxjonahxx

xxjonahxx Thread Starter

hi dude thanx for repyling!

first of LL THERE IS NO chance whatsovever of me getting into windows (xp) to find out what kind of system i hate (fat32 etc) and when i press f8 i get these options ;
    safe mode
    safe mode with networking
    safe mode with command prompt

enable boot logging
    enable vga mode
    last known good configuration (recent settings tha worked)
    directory services restore mode (windows domin controllers only)
    debugging mode

start windows normally
    reboot
    return to os chocies menu

.........and those are my only options..how do i get to dos prompt?......
    i have been getting to it as of now by booting from my win xp cd and going into restore to get to a prompt but i dont think it is a ful ldos prompt as a lot of commands ive tried havnt worked!
    if i follow any of the option to lead me into windows i get the blue screen of death woth this exact number/s

*** STOP: 0x0000007b (0xF9E4D640,0XC0000034,0X00000000,0X00000000

i get this blue screen even after following the website insturctuons uyou left and repairing windows i get he blu screen! even after chkdsk using /r command..
    i have a feeling that even though i can boot from a cd rom my ods doesnt support it for some reason as when i try to change directory by going cd d:\ it wont let me
    i dont know how to use this xcopy command or how to copy my documents to another part of c:\ even after hours of net searching....if there is a programthat can help me do this that i can buy/download id apprecite anyone telling me!

i have another idea if no one knows how to copy a folder from windows to a folder on c:.!.....i am using a laptop right now..now i wonder if i can remove my desktop pc's harddrive and make it a slave..i have heard this term b4 but not understood it or what it means... bcos if i can move files from pc to laptop problem solved...i dont care about opeening my box but i havnt a clue what to do...so if there are good beginners websites or advice and stuff with pictures..woohoo! and i can fix this once and for all...AND BACK IT ALL UP IN FUTURE COS IM A TOTAL MORON

p.s as wel las being a moron my pc is a comaq presario 600..about 2 years old ish if tht helps deternmie what kind of fiel system i use as i dont know what that means...i am not a complete novice but i think that whern this is all voer i will be fairly experienced!

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you have FAT32 it is much easier to get a clean install of XP without formatting the drive and losing any data at all.

As far as how to use XCOPY, just enter XCOPY /? And a list of the available switches will be shown.

For example, if you go to the directory where the source files are located, you could type something like:

XCOPY *.* D:\data_backup /s

5. xxjonahxx

xxjonahxx Thread Starter

so how do i find out what kind of file system i have fat32 etc?
    and if i have got the one you suggest how can i do as u say and clena install xp without losing any data! help please every timesomeone posts on here i feel a little ray op hope
    i am determined to save my documents as there are many un replceble things..i am such a turd for not backing up

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If this was a vendor installed version, likely it has XP.

To find out what version you have, just right click on the C: drive and select properties. The file system will be shown there.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Everyone says something like i hate (fat32 etc) until they realize two things. It is not the file system that crashes but the operating systems. It is much easier to recover or reinstall from FAT32 since it is so much easier to access the hard drive.

8. xxjonahxx

xxjonahxx Thread Starter

hi bob i dunno if u saw my last posts but part of my problem is i cant access windows xp its a long story see above! how can i find out what kind of drive i jhave from dos prompt?

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Then try booting with a Win98 floppy. If you can see the C: drive then it is FAT32.

If you can boot to the XP CD, you can always try doing a repair install. Or don't format the drive and just install from scracth.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

There are a few ways to do this.

1 Do a repair install of the os. All of your data / installed apps will still be there. From your error, I would assume you have a boot sector problem, bad or corrupted driver, perhaps a boot sector virus.

2 Do a parallel install of xp and copy your data to wherever you want. When you are finished, do a clean install of the os.

Both of these methods assume that you have not encrypted the folder you want to copy [if using ntfs] This will work on fat32 or ntfs.

11. xxjonahxx

xxjonahxx Thread Starter

thanx for your help its been suggested b4 and not worked...i am now thinknig of jsut either installing linux..can i do this without windows xp? or buying a new hdd and using it as my main one and the old one as the slave to recover files?
    SUGGESTIONS

12. zmaster

zmaster

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you just want to recover files from the hd, I would find another computer to connect it to as a slave ie friends, neighbors, or relatives. Copy all of the data you want. Put the disk back in your computer and do a clean install of xp.

You could try something like knoppix which runs completely from a cd and does not write any files to your hd. You can copy the data to another partition or drive on your computer and then clean install.

You do understand that you can install xp without formatting the drive correct? This will also preserve your data.

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Guess I've just always used NTFS Pro. Simple floppy that lets you access NTFS partitions.

In this case, if you don't have that, and as you mention repairs aren't working, then you can always try installing to a new hard drive and copying the files afterwards. Drives are pretty cheap these days.

15. xxjonahxx

xxjonahxx Thread Starter

GUYS. youve bee ngreat il lelt you know how i get on with knoppix

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/277117

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice