1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cmvu, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cmvu

cmvu Thread Starter

Hi! I was given a desktop by a friend which runs on intel pentium 4 with Windows version 5.1 (Build 2600 xpsp1.020828-1920: service pack 1)

When I boot up, I received these 3 error messages

avgcc.exe Application error.
    The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022)
    Click ok to terminate the application.

this is followed by:

launch~1.exe Application error.

and then followed by:

PcSync2.exe Application error.

Each time I click ok, it continues to boot.

After going into windows, if I click on AVG, Nokia PC suite, the second error message appears.

However, if i click on CC cleaner, Windows Washer, it runs normally.

I am getting quite upset, and am thinking of reinstalling the Windows XP.
    However, I do not have the drivers softwares,
    What & how shall I go about reinstalling the Windows XP (I have the boot up CD). As for the other softwares, I have the files.

2. 1SillyBilly

1SillyBilly

To learn about the drivers on your system, download and run Systen Information for Windows at
    http://www.gtopala.com/

Another program that is popular is Belarc at
    http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Make note of the hardware manufacturer and go to that site to download the latest driver. Save the setup files or the drivers to a storage disk (floppy, CD, thumb . . . )

Don't do a clean install until you have all the drivers.

3. cmvu

cmvu Thread Starter

Thanks 1SillyBilly. I try that & will keep you informed. Once I have all the drivers/setup files, what should I do.

Do I need to format, or do I just reinstall?
    By the way, the existing pc has 2 partitions with the softwares in D drive

4. guitar

guitar Banned

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

6. 1SillyBilly

1SillyBilly

I would try a Repair of Windows before doing a Clean Install - just my preference since I don't want to re-install all the programs and upload all the documents, favourites, mail contacts, e-mails . . .

Here are some links for reading about Repair that you may want to check out before continuing.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=repai...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Repair only :

Installing Windows XP over Windows XP - 2003-07-25
    Your Windows XP isn't booting and you need to re-install Windows XP, well here you go:

1.) Put your Windows XP cd in the drive and reboot the system to the cd.
    2.) It will go thru the search of your system, THIS NEXT PART IS VERRRRRY IMPORTANT....!!!
    3.) The 1st. time you see the screen, that will let you install or repair. SELECT INSTALL.
    4.) This will start copying things to the hard drive.
    5.) You will NOW see a screen, that will let you select to do a repair. THIS IS THE REPAIR, you want to install Windows XP over Windows XP.
    All your old programs and setting for them will still be there.

7. vicks

vicks

I think the avg error may be from the antivirus avg. I would suggest going to the add/remove in the control panel, remove it. First download it from www.majorgeeks.com or www.download.com, save it in a folder ( I save mine in a folder marked downloads in my documents. Then after you uninstall the original one, reboot the computer then install the newer version.
    As to the other messages, I have no clue.
    Vicks

8. 1SillyBilly

1SillyBilly

Many thanks to Vicks for noticing the AVG possibility. The most recommended free anti-virus programs are Avira and Avast. Search the General Security forum on this site. It depends on what you like. You might want to uninstall AVG and try one of the above. I use Avast. Either can be downloaded at

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Avast_Home_Edition_d1968.html

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Avira_AntiVir_Personal_-_Free_Antivirus_d955.html

The launch~1.exe Application error may be tied into AVG not being able to load and run. Try the above suggestion.

The PcSync2.exe Application error has to do with "pcsync2.exe is a process which belongs to the Nokia PC Suite which synchronizes your phone with your PC". . Read about it at these sites
    http://www.google.ca/search?q=PcSyn...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Proceed carefully - don't mess with the Registry unless you know what you are doing. You could first disable it from Startup through Run | Msconfig

9. cmvu

cmvu Thread Starter

Thanks guys for your comments & suggestions. I am currently backing up my drivers before considering what to do next. As such, I would be grateful for further comments & suggestions & possible solutions.

As for Vicks comment, I tried to uninstall AVG but was not successful with the following error message :

Local machine : installation failed
    Initialization:
    Error : Checking of state of the item file msvcr.dll_WNT failed.
    File opening failed. %File%="D:WINDOWS\System 32\msvcr71.dll"
    Permission denied.

10. vicks

vicks

Suggest that you d/l reinstall avg, then you should be able to uninstall it.
    Vicks

11. cmvu

cmvu Thread Starter

Dear Vicks,

I downloaded the free version from AVG, tried to reinstall, I got the same error message ie :

Local machine : installation failed
    Initialization:
    Error : Checking of state of the item file msvcr.dll_WNT failed.
    File opening failed. %File%="D:WINDOWS\System 32\msvcr71.dll"
    Permission denied.

I tried to unistall from Add & remove Programmes, from CC Cleaner's uninstall, even from AVG's uninstall, still got the same error message as above.

12. 1SillyBilly

1SillyBilly

Try going into Safe Mode to uninstall it.

13. vicks

vicks

I am not sure what else to do. Hopefully someone with more knowhow than I have will join this post.
    Vicks

14. guitar

guitar Banned

15. cmvu

cmvu Thread Starter

Hey guys, thanks for your suggestions, Finally.... I tried your suggestions 1SillyBilly... went into safe mode, & wonders... I was able to uninstall AVG!
    Not only that, I was able to install the newer version!
    Guess it was the older version of the AVG that is causing the problem.

Now I need to try to update my windows to Service Pack 2 & try to reinstall the Vodafone Mobile Connect.

Will keep you guys posted.

Thanks a million.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758581

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice