1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: windows

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by med92303, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. med92303

med92303 Thread Starter

ok i was wandering if i could, well first of all i called computer renasance to see if they could make it so i can boot from my new hard drive although it doesnt have have windows or if i would have to purchase windows again new and they said they may be able to put my exsisting windows on the new drive i was just wandering if there was a way i could do that myself w/o having to get them to do it or will i have to just put a whole new os on to the new drive? if i have to buy windows again thats fine but id like to do it myself before bringing it in to find out and maybe save some time and money? can i transfer my exsisting windows to the new drive or maybe clone the drive would that work on a blank hard drive? thanks for any help...

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You have XP on a drive right now? Was XP installed on that machine because it won't boot in a different machine.

Yes, you can clone the drive if it works.

3. med92303

med92303 Thread Starter

yes i have xp installed on the drive and its just one computer but the hard drive had only three gbs of space thats why i bought the new drive but i cant seem to use the new drive as the master and get rid of the original one because the new drive didnt have windows installed on it but both drives work great im just trying to get the forty gb drive to be the one i use cause the other has no space it only has like 85 mbs left on it and i know thats not safe i did install windows on the new drive but as u said it can only use one product key so can i just erase that and clone the old drive to the new drive? and if so will windows xp boot up? will this be a little less expensive? i really appreciate ur help a lot!!!!!!

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

XP installed on another machine won't boot because it installed drivers for the other machine.

You can clone the old drive to the new one. Both need to be connected to the machine. Don't boot into Windows. Just clone the drive and then put it in the machine where you want it.

The drive manufacturer has cloning tools on their site. You want to make a bootable CD (or floppy) with the cloning tools on it.

Free Drive Cloners/Imagers:

SystemRescueCD
    EaseUs Disk Copy (Copies disks or partitions)
    XXClone
    CloneZilla GParted LiveCD (Complete partitioning and drive imaging/restoration tools)
    CloneZilla
    Partition Saving
    PCI CloneMaxx
    Drive Image XML
    HDClone
    DriveClonerXP
    Self-Image
    copyr.dma (Copies disk with bad sectors for recovery)

Commercial Apps:

O&O DiskImage
    Acronis True Image Home
    EAZ-FIX Professional and Easy Image
    Drive Snapshot
    Keriver Image
    Avanquest Copy Commander
    Paragon Drive Backup
    NovaBackup
    R-Drive Image
    Norton Ghost
    HDClone Pro or Enterprise
    Terabyte Image for Windows
    Terabyte Image for DOS (can directly access FAT, FAT32, and NTFS partitions)
    Spotmau Disk Clone & Backup

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are settings in most of these to clone a smaller to a larger partition (like 3 > 40). But fater you clone, if you discover that your new drive has a 3 GB partition with your old drive cloned into it, you can just resize tha partition to the full size of the drive.

Partitioning Tools-->

Free:

CloneZilla GParted LiveCD (Complete partitioning and drive imaging/restoration tools)
    SystemRescueCD
    Gparted LiveCD
    Parted Magic
    Vista Recovery Disk (Shrink, expand, create, delete partitions)
    Free Paragon Hard Drive Manager 8.0 Special Edition
    XP Recovery Console CD image (Create and delete partitions with diskpart.exe)
    Partition Logic
    Ranish Partition Manager
    Cute Partition Manager

Shareware:

Paragon Partition Manager
    Paragon Hard Disk Manager
    Terabyte BootIt NG
    Acronis Disk Director
    V-Com (Avanquest) Partition Commander
    EASEUS Partition Manager
    7Tools Partition Manager
    Spotmau Partition Genius

5. med92303

med92303 Thread Starter

ok thanks a lot , i only have one computer, just two hard drives so i can download one of the above and to a floppy or cd andclone it to the new drive? and all in one computer? now will i have to erase the copy of windows i installed earlier on the new drive in order to clone my exsisting drive to the new one or just go ahead and try to clone it . will i have to partition the new drive beforehand in case if i have to erase the windows i put on it earlier? i just wanta make sure i have this all right before i do it and do it wrong id rather make sure i get it right... thankyou for ur help ill be waiting to hear from you.. and also when i clone it do i leave the drives where they are ? the old one i want to clone in the master and the new one i want windows cloned to in the slave?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You don't need to erase the old one, usually. But pick a cloner (EaseUS seems easy, but read about them and see which suits your purposes) and then read the directions. Most will simply overwrite the other installation.

You connect the 2 drives inside one computer, usually on the same cable, with one set to master and the other to slave (or both CS if that is how yours is set up). Then, you boot with the cloning CD or floppy, pick the source and destination (be careful--don't use drive letters, use size or location), and clone it. Remove the original, connect the clone as primary master, and boot up.

If it fails for some reason, you still have the original, so try again or try a different cloner.

7. med92303

med92303 Thread Starter

.thank you so much for your help i really appreciate it im gonna go and get a floopy disk now at the store i have a cd burner but because of the space problem i have on the drive i cant download the software for it so ill just have to use the floppy disk i have a bunch of memory sticks that go into the usb but i dont think i can use them can i? thanks for the solution to my problem im glad that i dont have to purchase windows again and i can just make a copy of the hard drive i have thankyou so much this was really bothering for sometime now . thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

"i have a bunch of memory sticks that go into the usb"

You could move some things to make more room on that drive. I'm sure they will come in handy.

9. kickback999

kickback999

I hope you were using the phrase "purchase windows" as a joke :D

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

And what, exactly, do you mean by that?

11. med92303

med92303 Thread Starter

no i didnt mean purchase windows as a joke i dont see how that could mean a joke, im just glad that i can copy the drive instead of repurchasing the same windows for the same computer. im sorry if i offended anyone in anyway i didnt mean it all

ok i finally got the floppy disks and im gonna attempt to download one of the programs above to it and boot with that now i will post back as soon as i can and close this if it works which im sure it will (hopefully) oh i meant earlier if i could use the flash drive (memory sticks) instead of the floppy or cdr to put the program for copying the drive on lol the guy at staples said that u cant boot a program from a floppy disk but i dont see why it would say that if u cant it wont hurt to try anyway thankyou for all your help ELVANDIL

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

I don't know why he would say that, either. Remember Win98 floppies? They booted.

You didn't say anything wrong. I think someone was suggesting that you get an illegal copy of Windows for free, and that was what the "joke" was about.

13. med92303

med92303 Thread Starter

thankyou thankyou thankyou i swear i am the happiest person in the world right now you've just became my new best friend lol, i used the xxclone program and it worked great and it only took like twenty three minutes from start to finish, i thought it would only recognize the new drive with only the three gbs of space but it didnt it has the whole space forty gbs minus the three i copied.. i am so so so happy right now i cant believe it worked and i didnt even need the floppy disks it did it right from windows itself im on the new drive as we speak and it didnt cost me a penny , thankyou thankyou thankyou sorry im just so glad to have this finally resolved now i dont have to worry about the computer being unstable or unsafe because there wasnt enough space on it.....you were a great deal of help to me evandil i really love these forums a lot i did however try to make a bootable diskette for just in case but for some reason when i put the diskette in and tried to download to it it said "floppy does not recognize 1.44 mb floppy" do u know what thats all about? thats the least of my worrys though in fact i dont have any at this point well thanks again and my daugter will also be pleased now i can download all of her disney games again since theres a lot of space now so thankyou again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

You are no longer a "Beginner". You get a promotion for that one. Good work.

15. med92303

med92303 Thread Starter

thankyou for saying that, that really makes me feel good about myself, i guess im not that illeterate after all lol, thanks again for all of ur help and if u dont mind in the future ill just contact u directly through the mail on here thanks again....

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703850

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice