1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows7 Install Hangs after entering Product Key

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rdy-csci, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rdy-csci

rdy-csci Thread Starter

I am at a loss here and hoping some of you may have some ideas.

I recently purchased Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. The version of Windows 7 I purchased is the full install and not the upgrade. I was running Windows XP sp2 32-bit.

After inserting the DvD and booting to it, I followed the on-screen instructions. Things seemed to be going smooth. I did a custom install, and chose to format my primary (system) partition, to ensure a completely clean install. I then proceeded to install Windows 7. I entered all my information, and got to the screen asking me to enter the product key. I enter the product key and hit next. The blue mouse wheel spins and spins and spins indefinitely.
    Waited multiple hours. Somehow lose signal on my monitor, so can't see what's going on. I reboot and repeat. Same thing after the product key screen. The blue mouse wheel constantyl spins if I am monitoring it and moving the mouse. If I leave for an extended time, when I come back I have no picture on the monitor and must reboot.
    Tried to finish install in safe mode. Got the message that I can't complete setup in safe mode. Went into BIOS and disabled USB1.1, USB2.0 and USB Legacy. No USB ports are hot. Tried install again. Blue Mouse wheel spins indefinitely after I enter the product key.
    Disabled Network devices and OS PnP. Blue mouse wheel spins indefinitely after I enter the product key. Dropped from 4gig RAM to 2gig. Blue mouse wheel spins indefinitely after I enter the product key.
    Tried the other 2gigs of RAM. Blue Mouse wheel spins indefinitely after I enter the product key.
    Removed the two disks from the array that were being mirrored, so that only the two being striped were present. Blue Mouse wheel spins indefinitely after I enter the product key. Swapped to the other two drives being striped. Blue Mouse wheel spins indefinitely after I enter the product key.

this is very frustrating. I can't figure out what is going on. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Try this, reinstall windows 7, this time just delete the partition you want to install on, Do not format it, just select the unallocated partition and hit next to install W7. See if it accepts the key now.

3. DVOM

DVOM

You don't have to enter the key until after you've got it up and running. So ya might give that a try although I don't think it really has anything to do with the key entry.

Another thought, give the DVD a good cleaning. I've had new DVDs that looked clean but wouldn't work till I gave them a cleaning.

4. antech

antech Banned

I do agree with DVOM,
    the DVD might have been corrupted

5. rdy-csci

rdy-csci Thread Starter

I'll try cleaning the CD, but at the point you are entering the product key - you no longer need to have the CD in the drive. Windows has already copied everything over it needs.

I also tried deleting and recreating the partitios. It appears to have created an additional 100mb partition that didn't exist before, so I will see if that makes a difference.

I'll update later today.

6. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    You coild try and dump the entire contents of the DVD into a folder called "setup", on one of your other partitions, and run the install from there. If you are having a problem with the DVD/Drive, that may take care of it.

7. rdy-csci

rdy-csci Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help folks. Not sure which ones contributed to fixing it, but the last step I tried was this.

Went into BIOS. Enabled memory remapping. Everything else worked like a charm afterwards. Marking this as resolved.

8. antech

antech Banned

Cheers....:)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!