1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows7 Partition

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by HXP, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HXP

HXP Thread Starter

Hi,

I have got myself in a bit of a tangle so after any help if possible.

I had Vista on a 750 gb HDD and wanted to install windows 7.

I used the built in Vista tool to create a nw 120gb partition to install Win 7 on.

I have slowly been tranferring files over and now want to extend the Windows 7 partition, but using the built in disk managemtnt tool all the space is to the left of the win 7 partition.

I went into VISTA and shrank the Vista partition again thinking that would allow me to expand the Win 7 partition but the new partition is also to the left.

I downloaded Partition Wizard Home edition form here

http://partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

Have installed that but still cannot see how to move or extend the windows 7 partition.

I have backed up my Win 7 installation using Acronis True image.

Is there anything I can do ?

I thinkI am a bit out of my depth and ahve made a hash of things so far !

Many thanks

HXP

2. Megabite

Megabite

What is your final aim here to just have Windows 7 ...or Dual boot options for Vista or W7?

3. HXP

HXP Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, my final aim is :

Migrate away form Vista and use Windows 7 as my primary OS but only after I have got Windows 7 running as I would like it to.

I was hoping to dual boot and then over time reduce the Vista partition and Increase the Windows 7 partition until at some stage Vista existed as a stripped out OS with me eventually using Windows 7 and reverting to Vista as an OS I could play with. In effect reversing what I now have - as small windows 7 and a large Vista partition. What i want is a small Vista partition and a large Windows 7.

However I am happy to just lose Vista if it means I can run Windows 7 over my entire HDD.

Many thanks

4. Megabite

Megabite

Dual boots are safer on two separate HDDs.....One OS on each.....

The thing is you are trying to change partitions size with data still on there ...which can be risky as you could loose you data.

I would say is to slim down vista.....remove W7....change the partition size to larger and then reinstall W7.

However that is a lot of work.......I used Disk Director by Acronis which changed my HDD patitions and keep my files......

5. DVOM

DVOM

I would boot to Vista and delete your Win 7 partition. Use Vista to create another partition of the size you want for Win 7 then restore your Acronis Win 7 image to that partition.

That would allow your MBR and your Win 7 boot menu to remain intact and everything should work.

6. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

You are asking for trouble doing what you are talking about.

But if that is what you want to do, that is your choice.

GTParted in Linux can do what you want. Look into a Linux Live CD.

7. HXP

HXP Thread Starter

Hi

Thanks for the messages I think I will delete and start again !

Many thanks

Hugh

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!