1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windoze XP boot disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Oldpimp, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Oldpimp

Oldpimp Thread Starter

An online friend has the lsass.exe error and I believe it is a virus. He cannot boot into windows and also it will not repair or re-install windows so he just wants to format his Hdd but has nothing to boot from other than his windows disk and cannot format it. In the old days I hade a nice magnet that did the job but not sure about doing that these days ;). Basicly my question is this, can I make a general boot disk with like Fdisk and other tools on it to send to him or does said disk have to be made by the same system? Will my windows Bart PE disk work for him? We both have windoze Xp pro. All he needs is to format and partition it then load windows. He does not have a floppy drive just cd-rom and dvd-rom drive. His system is very new, dual core intel 3.4 and the drive is a 500gb WD. I thought he could access tools when booting to his windows disk and he cannot or is doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

2. frankjohn

frankjohn

If you have a xppro os disc >set boot order in bios to boot from cdrom>insert the os disc and reboot

3. Curiousclive

Curiousclive

As Frankjohn said above. when asked to boot from cd chose custom install. Can then choose drive options and select partition to format and install XP on.

4. Oldpimp

Oldpimp Thread Starter

Yes of course we have tried that and it goes in to setup, then it says xp is already installed. What we need is a way to boot from a recovery disk, that he does not have to format the hdd and start over. The question is can I send him my win xp bart pe disk or make him one that will allow him to format the drive and then load windows again. Is a Bart PE disk system specific? He does not have a 3.5 floppy drive. All he really needs is like Fdisk and such to format the drive and then reload windows. My main question is will a bootable xp cd that I make work in his system so he can format the drive.

5. Oldpimp

Oldpimp Thread Starter

He has tried booting from the xp disc and claims all he gets is setup options. I also thought that utilitys should be available to format the drive but he saya no.

6. Lazers

Lazers

Wait, this is probably fixable via copying the file over from the recovery disk. Upon load of the disk, when it comes up with the options, press R.
    Log onto the windows OS used, and then type "Copy x:\I368 lsass.exe C:\Windows\System32\" Where X is your CDROM drive letter.
    I think this will restore the lsass file, and make a complete reinstall unnecessary. Similiarly, you may be able to copy it from the BartPE disk, too.

7. Curiousclive

Curiousclive

That is very unusual. On my XP disc when i boot into setup I get option to upgrade or clean install. when choose clean install can also choose drive options to format drive. As far as I know unless his disc is an upgrade only disc all XP install disc have this.
    Even if it an upgrade disc it should tell him XP already installed but ask if he wants to overwrite it anyway.
    Has he tried selecting repair option instead of install, and run start up repair this might resolve problem without having to re-install windows and all the software.

8. Oldpimp

Oldpimp Thread Starter

He tried the repair with no luck. I told him to cancel the install and he did find the tools to format. I advised him to run chkdsk first but he forgot and just formatted it. He got xp loaded and some other programs but after loading norton 360 and restarting it's now just restating over and over. He doesnt have the cash for a new drive so I'm sending him one. Thanks for the help again guys but he seems to have given up on that drive. He's going to send it to me and I'll recover it. Once again thanks, I've sent all my friends here and have got %100 positive feedback. You guys are the best!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/831083

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice