Solved: Windws XP downloading problem and lockup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Steve2381

Hi

I have just assembled my girlfriends computer with new motherboard after meltdown due to PSU failure.

Installed new XP SP2 and all is well except for these two problems.

The first one is XP keeps locking up - totally. No Ctrl+alt+del, you can only reset the PC.
If you check the Event viewer, it shows no reason for it.
At first I suspected Zone Alarm, as Event viewer listed Truevector errors just before freezing which I believe is a Zone Alarm thing.
I have uninstalled Zone Alarm, and disabled Windows firewall. Xp still randomly freezes.

The second problem is if you go to IE6, you cannot fully download any files from the net.
Sometimes they download (usually if they are small), but usually the download ceases at a random percentage.
I have been trying to download Skype, but it stops downloading anywhere between 1% and 90% - as do all other files you try to download. The graphics show it downloading, but the percentage/MB count stops.

Any ideas? I suspected dodgy memory (1.2Gb)... but I have checked and changed that.
CPU and motherboard temps are low - 3 fans ensuring that.

No viruses (not had time to catch any yet!)

All other hardware seems to be working fine. I am stumped!

Many thanks

I am having the same problem with my husbands computer. Except I havent added SP2 yet, and I have XP Pro. I hope someone here can help us. This is a fantastic place to get tech help!:)

gramcurl

gramcurl you need to start a NEW thread for your problem. One like this in one thread is hard enough.

Well I would have suspected heat off the bat, but you assure us that's not it.

Do the freeze ups occur offlline as well as online?

If all of these problems are online you may have some problem with the networking hardware. Perhaps the card or cable or modem.

If you open the task manager and look at the running processes, are they all normal, or is something other than "system idle process" taking up a lot of cpu time?

Is an installed video card in use, or does the motherboard have an integrated chip? Have the drivers been updated or reinstalled?

Does the motherboard chipset require any special drivers, and have they been installed?

>> Do NOT disable the Windows Firewall after uninstalling Zone Alarm. You are almost guaranteed to have an infected system within an hour of being online.

Post a HijackThis scanlog for now:

Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor". Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

Steve2381

Ok. I re-installed XP and made the freezing appears to have stopped.
It used to freeze anywhere - internet or in applications. Thats why I suspected the RAM.

Anyway, the only problem remaining is you cannot download from the internet using IE6.
It shows the files downloading, but the percentage/MB count stops at some random point and the file never completes its download.

Any ideas? Its not firewalls or anything.... checked all that.

Thanks

Steve2381

Oh.... if its any help!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 18:52:03, on 12/01/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\VTTimer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\VTtrayp.exe
C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb08.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\RxMon.exe
C:\Program Files\VIA\RAID\raid_tool.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe
C:\Program Files\D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G\AirPlus.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\Playlist.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VTTimer] VTTimer.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VTTrayp] VTtrayp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BJCFD] C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb08.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DeviceDiscovery] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] c:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Portfolio] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WksSb.exe /AllUsers
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioEngineUtility] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\System\EngUtil.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioDragToDisc] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioAudioCentral] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\RxMon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RaidTool] C:\Program Files\VIA\RAID\raid_tool.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
O4 - Global Startup: D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G Configuration Utility.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk = ?
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

Does the problem occur if you log in under a different User Account?

Enable the "guest" account to test.

Also try using CCleaner to delete the Temporary Internet Files INCLUDING the Index.dat file.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Steve2381

Ok ... I lied!

XP was frozen when I returned thus evening. The screensaver had stopped dead and could not be woken up.

After rebooting, I checked the event viewer and nothing was listed

:eek: Help

Put the kybosh on the screensaver. Something might be wrong there.

Is it a standard Windows screensaver or 3rd party one?

If the "freezing" problem occurs even without the use of the Screensaver -- try updating the Display drivers.

Steve2381

Hi

It freezes on any user account.

I have updated the display drivers, updated the Bios, emptied the internet temp filese etc,
deleted index.dat.... I am running out of ideas!

Doesn't seem to matter which screen saver you use either.

I had the floating marquee screen saver, and I watched it grind to a halt while bouncing around the screen. Once it slowed to a stop..... full lockup.

I have checked all power settings, sleep, hibernation etc - nothing set to turn off.

:mad: Computers are crap when they don't work

Steve2381

Ok.... Possibly solved the problem.

I found a forum where people were complaining of random XP freezes.

It appears the common thing between all of them is that their motherboards have VIA chipsets and they also use D-link DWL-G520 wireless cards.

I have uninstalled the D-link wireless card and installed a Belkin one instead..... no freezes so far and the screen savers now appear to work ok.

I tried a download - no problem at all.

I hope thats the problem solved (y)

Steve2381

Yep - problem solved

The wireless D-link DWL-G520 card conflicts with the VIA chipset on the motherboard... obvious :rolleyes:

All working fine now

Thanks for your help guys

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online