1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WinFax Pro problem with Verizon FiOS

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by john329, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. john329

john329 Thread Starter

Computer - Gateway. Modem - 56K Rockwell, 7 years old. OS Windows XP Pro. Computer Fax Program - WinFax Pro, Version 10.0.
    Previous - 2 copper phone lines, 1 for voice, and 1 for computer/fax. Dial up connection from Earthlink.
    Current - 1 phone number shared by voice and fax. FiOS (fiber optic) connection from Verizon.

With the dial up, the fax program worked fine. When a fax came in, I didnt hear a phone ring; a little icon, in the corner of the monitor, would flash.
    When I switched to FiOS, I only needed one line, as I can work on the computer and use the phone at the same time, so we eliminated the old computer/fax number, and moved everything to the former voice only number. I was told that the fax software woulf work provided the computer was plugged into a regular phone jack. (besides the FiOS internet connection.)
    I tested the WinFax, after FiOS installation, by sending a couple of faxes. They went out fine, and I thought everything was OK, but soon realized I wasn't RECEIVING anything. I had someone send me a couple of test faxes. The fax program didn't pick up - treated them like voice calls - and the answering machine came on. We tried 2 other fax programs with the same results.
    In one instance, the fax software picked up a voice call, and I had to talk over the screeching. Another time, the fax program picked up an actual fax call, and said, "Answering, etc., etc., Receiving" but, when I went to the fax inbox, there was only the calling number (I think Caller ID put that there) and a message, "Fax Not Received."
    I've heard about things like ONT, CO, and POTS, which I don't understand, and switching wires because of line polarity.
    I read, in other posts here, about modem filters, and splitters. What are these, and where do they go?
    One final thing - I read, here, that only WinFax Pro Version 10.2 works with XP. Mine is version 10.0, but the User's Guide says it's for all Windows, from Win95b through XP Pro.
    Can anyone help? Please keep answer in simple terms, as I'm not very tech-savy.
    Thanks.

2. john329

john329 Thread Starter

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    How many devices (telephones, answering machines, modems, etc.) do you have connected at one time? Does the FIOS service specify any type of limit for the number of connected devices?

I suspect the modem phone line filters and splitters you mention are for use with Broadband DSL modems. DSL modems work at much higher frequencies than telephones and fax machine and the filter/splitters keep the high frequencies out of the voice/fax equipment.

Maybe JohnWill will stop by this thread the next time he is on TSG. He is quite familiar with FIOS.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

When you have FiOS supplied phone service, you have no filters, etc. The service comes in on a fiber optic cable and is split by the ONT into Ethernet, TV, and phone. The phone service is "similar" to a wired phone, but the ONT power supply actually supplies the phone loop current, since there is no power from the phone company side. Although I don't have the phone through the FiOS box (alarm system compatibility issues), I have a friend with FiOS and he uses his FAX all the time, sending and receiving.

Could it be that you were counting on distinctive ring to select the FAX machine?

5. john329

john329 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.
    Chuck W. - I'm not sure I know what you mean by connected. I have 5 telephones, 1 answering machine and, I guess 1 modem, in the computer. The only thing in use, when I was trying to receive the faxes was the computer. Is a hung up phone (phone on the hook) connected? In the material I got from Verizon, I don't see anything about limitations. I take it that filters and splitters are for DSL, and not FiOS.
    JohnWill - Ideally, Id like it to work as it did, when I had the separate line for the fax; as I said,I didn't hear a phone ring when a fax came in, but maybe this is not possible with one line. If it has to ring, when a fax comes in, I'd like to set the fax software to pick up on one ring. That way I'd know, if it rang mor than once, I should pick up. I really don't want a distinctive ring (especially if it means an additional monthly charge) unless it is absolutely necessary for call type recognition because of different voltage or something.
    Could you ask your friend what he does, and what fax software, or brand of fax machine he uses? I'd like to continue using the software, on the computer, because I can see all the faxes, on the monitor, and only print the ones I want and, also, I'd rather not clutter this place up with another machine but, it it's the only way, I'll buy a fax machine.
    Thanks again.
    John

6. JohnWill

A hung up phone is "on hook" or disconnected. Off hook refers to when the phone is picked up and connected to the line.

My friend uses WinFAX and a USR external modem. AFAIK, he just plugged it in when he got the FiOS, and it was working. I did ask, and he has a separate line for the FAX machine, that's one difference. I suspect that if you want the FAX to automatically pick up, there may be some issue sending the FAX answer tones while the FiOS supplied line is still on-hook. Distinctive ring may be the only answer with one line, it's obviously simpler with a separate FAX line.

7. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    When a telephone is hung up, it still has its ringer circuit connected to the phone line. The old fashioned phones with real ringer bells put a much larger ringer load on the the line than more modern phones with electronic ringers. Answering machines and fax machines also have a ringer load. It may be possible that with enough ringer loads hanging on the line, the ring voltage from the FiOS interface may be a bit lower than with just one phone and a fax machine connected. That reduced ringing voltage may be enough to activate an electronic ringer in the phone but the fax modem may not detect it. A quick check might be to try receiving a fax with just a single phone and fax machine attached to the phone circuit

As JohnWill all ready confirmed the no phone line splitters are used with FiOS.

8. john329

john329 Thread Starter

Thanks again, for the help. The first thing I'll try, when I can get someone to send me a test fax, is to disconnect most of the extra phones, and see if that makes a difference. I will post the results.

9. john329

john329 Thread Starter

Turns out the difficulty was not with the FiOS, or the number of extensions. Originaly, I had one copper line for voice, and one for computer connection/fax program. When I switched to FiOS, i had only one line that had to be shared between voice and fax. (computer connection is now fiber optic) I was told that I would have had the same problem if I shared one copper line between voice and fax. I had to get a Voice/Fax/Modem call processor, or "fax switch". I got one called, "The Stick", and it routes fax calls to the fax program, on the computer, and voice calls to the regular phones. I installed it a little incorrectly, at first, but their Tech Support got me straightened out very quickly, and everything works fine now. Thanks all, for your help.

10. JohnWill

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.© :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544645

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice