Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

(Solved) WinFax won't uninstall

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  charles22 
#1 ·
WinFax Pro hasn't worked since I installed Windows Me. Today when I gave up on the software and tried to uninstall the program it locked up my computer. I got the blue death screen with the note: "Error OE: 018F: BFF9B3D4". This happens every time I try to uninstall. Is there any way to get rid of this problem? I know it's probably a bad idea to manually delete it from Win Explorer.

#2 ·
Hiya

When you say its not working, what isn't? Also, what Office package are you using: 2000 or 2002?

What version of Winfax do you have? And, do you use Symantic? Where did you go to uninstall it?

Also, the error that was produced: Can you post the full message, or was that it?

Regards

eddie

#3 ·
Eddie:

There are so many problems with it I don't know where to start. I can't get it to send a fax by any means. Word97 won't print to WinFax. WinFax can't find my modem etc. (The modem works well otherwise).

I don't have Office 2000 or 2002. I tried to uninstall Winfax by using Add\Remove Programs in Control Panel. I have version 8.0 of Winfax Pro. And that was the full error message.

At this point I just want to get rid of WinFax. I'm going to buy a real fax machine. Thanks for your interest.

#4 ·
WinFax Pro is an excellent program. Unfortunately version 8 does not work with ME. I can link you to an OEM version of WinFax Pro 10 for $9 if you want to continue using it.

I take it that just leaving the program on your computer is causing you some pretty serious problems to be so desperate to remove it. What problems is it causing other than that WinFax 8 doesn’t work with ME and the blue screens when you try to uninstall it?

If you just recently installed the program and haven’t installed anything in the meantime it is unlikely that just manually removing it is going to cause problems. The longer something has been on the computer the more likely it is that something is sharing something it loaded.

In some ways it is safer to move everything to the recycle bin than it is to uninstall. If an uninstall misses a shared component and removes it there is no way to get it back. If you put everything in the recycle bin yourself you can restore it if there is a problem.

I would empty the recycle bin and back up the registry. Move the WinFax folder to the recycle bin and then do a search for symantec and winfax. Send any components it finds to the recycle bin. Do a search in the registry for components and remove them. Use the F3 key to continue the search. If you don’t remove the registry links you often get odd messages and stuff by just deleting the program folders.

If you have a problem with your manual uninstall, restore the recycle bin and then restore the registry. I personally think it would be nuts to mess with a manual uninstall unless WinFax is causing problems by just sitting there. If it isn’t causing problems just remove all references to it in msconfig/startup so no components start automatically, delete the icons from the desktop and forget about it.

#5 ·
slipe:

I managed to get rid of WinFaxPro by reinstalling it and then uninstalling it. I'm glad to see it gone. Yesterday I bought a Brother Fax 560 for the same price I paid for WinFax and it's a lot simpler to use.

Thanks in any case for your comments and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.