1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WinMe: Software Resource Hog.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by aarhus2004, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aarhus2004

aarhus2004 Gone but always remembered Thread Starter

Hello,

This is a question I have about my system as it presently stands. Unsure of what maybe relevant to the reader I offer this:

I have an Intel Celeron II 633MHz CPU on an Asus P3V4X Motherboard (1 ISA, 6 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DIMM). Chipset Via VT82C694X Apollo Pro 133A. RAM 384MB (SDRAM). 2 Local Disks. 14301MB (13GB Free) and 38129MB - DMA Enabled both. The latter partitioned C: 6GB (Windows). D: 10GB (MT). E: 22GB (5GB Free).

Before the purchase of software known as an audio file format batch converter this question did not arise. But since that purchase I realise I have a determined resource hog on my hands. Once it is up and running I am unable to use my computer for much other than the opening of folders. It is very sluggish. The program will relinquish few CPU resources. Yet my System Resources hover around 70% free.

This is not a question of viruses or malwares. Nor is it one of a computer already overburdened by running processes. And I am a maintenance freak.

What, if anything, can I do to balance/limit the allocation of CPU Usage to this program, or alternatively replace/add system components to accommodate it?

What comprises System Resources?

Thank you.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Aarhus2004:

System resources are used by running processes. You may have a bigger startup load than you realize. How many programs do you have checked in the MSCONFIG "Startup" tab?

You're using a Celeron II processor which doesn't have the processing power of a Pentium II processor, so I would say that is another part of the problem.

I'm not an expert on processors and sytem resources, so let's see if someone else has a more valid answer for you.

3. aarhus2004

Hello Frank,

Thanks for responding. Here they are:

Attached Files:

4. aarhus2004

Hello,

This issue has found a resolution. I use Process Explorer from here:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

Under Process>Set Priority I chose 'Idle'. This has permitted me to do almost anything I can conceive of doing, by forcing the software in question to yield ground to other apps, explorer, etc etc.

Cheers. (y)

5. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo

First Name:
    Joe
    Good job Ben. I also read your thread in MSNews and alot of valuable information was exchanged there. (y)

6. aarhus2004

And it continues with my good buddy, Noel Paton, Joe.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Aarhus2004:

Your startup list in MSCONFIG looks real good. (y)

There is one thing though that I would do, but it's up to do if you want to do it. Go into Power Options in the Control Panel and set the power scheme to "Always On" and set everything else to "Never". You can then uncheck both LoadPowerProfile entries. Your computer will actually run better with these power management features turned off. (y)

8. aarhus2004

Hello Frank,

I took your advice sometime ago on that one and those are my settings in Power Options.

As for unchecking both LPPs I had that done until yesterday! Then I learned from the senior member in MSNewsgroups, Mike Maltby and quoted below, that I should keep them checked. That is an ongoing debate, Frank. I will let you know the outcome.

"Incidentally I feel you may have pared your startup list a little too much
    and should perhaps have left the two PowerProfile entries as each runs for
    just a fraction of a second as the PC boots during which time they make
    important configuration settings. Similarly by removing TaskMon you are
    now unable to optimise the placement of files when running Defrag.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    [email protected]"

Cheers, Frank.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You don't need the LoadPowerProfile entries running in the background with the power management features turned off.

Leaving TaskMonitor turned on allows Disk Defragmenter to run more efficiently, but it's not required to be on. You can read about it here.

10. aarhus2004

Hello Frank, I must also quote your earlier post in this thread:

"There is one thing though that I would do, but it's up to do if you want to do it. Go into Power Options in the Control Panel and set the power scheme to "Always On" and set everything else to "Never". You can then uncheck both LoadPowerProfile entries. Your computer will actually run better with these power management features turned off. "

And here I quote my source:

"If you don't load a power profile some set of default settings will be used
    instead of the ones you have specified. Even "never, never, never, never"
    is a power saving profile - just because the power saving features are
    turned off doesn't mean you can turn off LoadPowerProfile."

So my take on this matter is that there is no general consensus in the computing community and it is up to the individual to make the choice.

Cheers, Frank.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I guess you can leave them checked and enabled then.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326989

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice