1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Winsock Catalog error? Wtf is that?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ibetyouluvthis, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibetyouluvthis

ibetyouluvthis Thread Starter

HP on XP
    Dynex USB wireless via 2wire router

My internet explorer does not work..
    "page cannot be displayed msg appears"

So, i diagnosed the problem and the i get a msg that states there is a Winsock Catalog error. The diagnostics reset the Winsock deal and the computer restarted but still no internet connection>"page cannot be displayed"
    Any ideas?

2. Ken8699

Ken8699

It basically means your firewall progs are beign dumb.

Your winsock catalog is the criteria for your firewalls and such, so make sure you turn off all firewalls and other protective software, and do the following.
    start menu > search bar > command > [enter]
    netsh winsock reset > [enter] (basically, you are just removing all the critieria, your firewall progs will re-establish those.)
    and just for extra spice, feel free to reset your DNS server list, it may help to clear up some dead servers that you may have taken internet pathways through. Who knows.
    netsh i i del arp > [enter]

if the long way doesnt correct it. Try reinstalling IE or re establishing your int connection without a firewall running.

3. ibetyouluvthis

ibetyouluvthis Thread Starter

i cmded netsh winsock reset...and still no luck
    i cmded netsh i i del arp......and still no luck

then i reestablished the connection without the zonealarm firwall and banG! Im connected!
    thank you. :)
    you are a genius

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/683682

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice