1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: [WinXP] Headset suddenly stopped working? Ö

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rowie100, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rowie100

Rowie100 Thread Starter

Hello there everybody,

I usually don't post any new threads on forums, but at this point, I am getting desperate for help ; _ ;

My problem:
    I guess a lot of people know the programm Skype.. well, my microphone worked fine with Skype! Other people were able to hear me very good. It all went very smooth.. for a few weeks at least...

I don't really know HOW I did it, but somehow, my mic stopped working from one to another day... I already checked if my mic wasn't just broken (occurs to me a lot >.>), but it wasn't, as it was still working on my sis' computer (WinXP too, also Skype).. I also noticed that all of my Bureau-Accessories were missing :S... Things like volume control, paint, and games like patience and pinball... Gone! Ö

At this point, I thought about using the internet to find a solution... I also used TechSupportGuy forums, but nowhere was an answer to find... (well, maybe there is, but I didn't found it *yet)...

I hope i have described my issue well now, and I also hope, that there might be somebody out there, who knows how to fix this problem...

(P.S. I managed to recover my paint and my volume control, by putting the mspaint.exe and the sndvol32.exe back in my system32 folder)

Greetings,

Rowie100

2. maceman

maceman

Hi,
    I guess that you already updated your drivers and all volumes.

You could try to do system restore to the point the mic was still working.

3. Rowie100

Rowie100 Thread Starter

Hey Maceman!

thanks for your reply! :D

I already did a system restore to a point when my mic was still working, but no success :S Still no voice recording... I'm almost sure it has something to do with my stupidity, because i remember (I should have posted it in my problem>.>) but like 2 weeks ago, I went into 'Software' of the configuration screen, and clicked on 'add or remove Windows XP Features'.. and I think thats when my mic stopped working... maybe I deleted some files out of my system32 folder? (because mspaint.exe and sndvol32.exe is also located in that map?)

4. maceman

maceman

Hey Rowie100,

In that case you can add Win XP features back in same place you removed them. But I think you need is your Win XP cd-rom.

5. Rowie100

Rowie100 Thread Starter

Hi Maceman,

I will try your second comment in a few moments, I already tried to add/remove windows XP features without cd-rom, but I guess I simply need the cd for it...

Only problem is my video card is too big, and blocks my port to my cd player, so im kinda 'living' on downloaded ISO games xD Ill guess ill just take it out using a sledgehammer >:D

Thank you. I'll post if it worked

6. Rowie100

Rowie100 Thread Starter

Hey Maceman!

Today I wrecked out my videocard, and put the winxp cd-rom in my drive, and clicked the 'add/remove windows xp features' button, and after a few minutes of quick installing some random stuff...

My mic worked again!!!

thank you for your time, and especially for the answer :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918090

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice