1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] winXP keeps restarting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rattler3, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rattler3

Rattler3 Thread Starter

This started when my mouse quit working. I restarted my computer and when it got to the windows XP screen with the green bar that goes right to left in the little box, it restarts itself.

I tried plugging in a new mouse and it didn't work.
    I tried unplugging the reset plug on the M/B, that didn't work.

When it retarts, it goes into the mode that allows you to restart in safe mode,start normally, last known good configuration, etc...
    I tried all of the options, but it just keeps restarting at the screen with the green bar.

I have not installed/uninstalled anything. This was totally out of the blue.

2. mobo

mobo

Can you get to safe mode at all ?

3. Rattler3

Rattler3 Thread Starter

nope it won't even let me get that far

4. mobo

mobo

Looks like a repair from the cd then if you cannot get in to windows..

5. Rattler3

Rattler3 Thread Starter

reboot from XP CD? and then repair from there? hang out if you can for updated post

6. mobo

mobo

If you have the xp cdrom then set the boot order to cdrom first, then Reboot with the cd in the drive. Select install, then when prompted to enter the repair console select to install again. Then a number of screens later the install will list the current systems on the hard disk. you can repair the system by choosing repair from here.This will bring the system back to original specs but maintain the programs and other software loaded. the windows updates will have to be reloaded however..

7. Rattler3

Rattler3 Thread Starter

at the startup window, do I select repair?

8. mobo

mobo

Ok rattler. Insert the cd and reboot and select install hen wait for the next screen and get back to me

9. mobo

mobo

No

10. Rattler3

Rattler3 Thread Starter

I inserted the CD, rebooted and when I was prompted to I selected install. I got a message that said there was no hard drive installed on the system and it could not continue. I have 2 HD. Do I try to repair and see how that works?

11. mobo

mobo

Perhaps disconnect the other drive so only the xp drive is hooked up and retry.

12. Rattler3

Rattler3 Thread Starter

Maybe I have not been clear with you. I have 2 hard drives. Only 1 has the OS on it. The other is a slave drive. when I first start the computer, all my drives show up.

13. mobo

mobo

If that doesn't make any difference then try the repair from the first screen.

14. Rattler3

Rattler3 Thread Starter

ok, I have the drives showing up when I boot from CD. Do you want me to reinstall windows?

15. mobo

mobo

Your call there but I would try a repair first..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!