[SOLVED] winXP keeps restarting

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
This screen

To repair the installation not the recovery console

notice the R at the bottom of the screen

Originally posted by Rattler3:
so you think it is a corrupted hard drive?
May be and you may not get any data from it. Try repair first and if no go then reformat it and clean install..

Rattler3

the only options I get on the screen that shows all my hard drives is to setup XP,create a partition,delete partition

Rattler3

when I choose to set up on the c:/ drive , I get the same message as I did when I selected set up on a different drive. It is still saying the same message about corrupted/unknown file system, etc..... Also, in response to post #33, the only repair option I have is on the screen after I boot from CD. When I select this option, I am sent to the repair console and given the C:/ prompt.

You must be on xp home are you ? i see that the options you have are slightly different on pro so you are going to have to back up and enter the recovery console.

Rattler3

Yes, I am . Sorry I didn't specify. Ok, now we are getting somewhere! what do I need to type at the prompt to start the ball rolling?

Here is a list of the commands and the only others I think may do something are fixboot and fixmbr :

Command
Command Description

Attrib Change file and directory attributes.
Batch Execute specified text file (batch) commands.
Bootcfg Configure boot file (boot.ini) settings.
ChDir (Cd) Change/display the current directory.
Chkdsk Check a disk for errors. Report capability.
Cls Clear the screen.
Copy Copy a file. Change file location or name.
Delete (Del) Delete files.
Dir Display a list of subdirectories and files.
Disable Disable a device driver or system service.
Diskpart Manage disk partitions.
Enable Enable device driver or system service.
Exit Exit Recovery Console and reboot.
Expand Extract files from a compressed file format.
Fixboot Write a new boot sector to a selected partition.
Fixmbr Repair the Master Boot Record (MBR).
Format Format a disk partition.
Help Display a list of Recovery Console commands.
Listsvc Display available drivers and system services.
Logon Log off and on to another Windows installation.
Map Display drive letter mapping.
Mkdir (Md) Create a directory.
More Display (scroll) a text file.
Net Use Connect drive letter to a network share.
Rename (Ren) Rename files.
Rmdir (Rd) Delete directory.
Set Display/set environment variables.
Systemroot Switch from current directory to system root directory.
Type Display a text file.

Rattler3

I ran chkdsk and it said that it found one or more errors on the volume. Then it listed the total disk space and the amount of disk space available. The numbers shown are correct for my drive. Do I need to run anything else to to see what the errors were, or trust that it was fixed since it shows good numbers?

fixboot writes a new boot record, do I need to do this?

Rattler3

Thank You so much !!!!!!! We wrer starting to get worried. You are the person (trying to be more PC as I go ). it seems to be working fine now.

Here is a kind of funny sidebar. Every time we help friends or church members with their computer problems, our system has problems. And it is never the same problem twice. Wierd, huh?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts